DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 02-20-2006, 09:37 AM   #1
romany

Default Magazine Layout Help for Newbie!

Hi
First Post here, could anyone point me to any tutorials for Magazine Layouts using quark, i have just started a GD Course and have never used Quark before, anyway our Tutor has given us a brief to design a 18 page A4 Magazine Layout the problem is he hasn't given any help on using Quark, just a few basic's i find this odd has i and other students started this course to learn about such programs.
Any Pointers Please
Thank You
Rom
romany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romany
could anyone point me to any tutorials for Magazine Layouts using quark, i have just started a GD Course and have never used Quark before, anyway our Tutor has given us a brief to design a 18 page A4 Magazine Layout the problem is he hasn't given any help on using Quark, just a few basic's
It sounds as if you have two distinct problems:
  1. How to design a magazine
  2. How to produce it in QuarkXPress
You will rarely find advice for both processes in one place. A good, practical book on magazine design is Jan White’s Designing for magazines: Common problems, realistic solutions (the link is to Amazon.uk).

There are many other graphic design books as well, though most will not be focused specifically on magazines as this one is, and I always found Jan White’s advice to be helpful. (The book will seem a bit dated, but the advice is still good.)

As far as XPress is concerned, we have plenty of advice here on the forum, but I think we need to know where to start. I assume you have a computer and XPress, to start with — or do you use the software only in class?

Have you gone through tutorials to learn the basics of the software? That can be a good way to begin.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:09 AM   #3
donmcc

Well, you might start by telling the tutor that magazines need to be paged in multiples of 4, and 18 pages is impossible, without special treatment like a foldout or tip-in page.

(Then again, that might be a part of the assignment.)
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:06 PM   #4
dogmandouglas

Hi
You dont need Quark or any other DTP program to design a magazine – just 18 sheets of A4 with the margins laid out and a grid network in place. Then take a pencil and start designing. Once your ideas are on paper it's much easier to change them and convert them in Quark or Indesign.
dogmandouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:43 PM   #5
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

Romany - I dont know if u are going to print the the mag and saddle stitch it, but if you are it will have to be either 16 or 20 pages ( OR) you may be talking about 18 leaves which is 36 pages
Best of luck
Peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote