DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 03-01-2006, 08:28 AM   #1
Bo Aakerstrom

Default Valid code, or perhaps not...

I have had problems with W3C's validating service for the last few days.

A template that was fine last week just returned with "This page is not Valid (no Doctype found)!" after I've completed the work on it, and with most of the letters from it displayed as boxes instead of the actual letters.

Just wondered if anyone else have experienced something like that recently or in the past.
Bo Aakerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:34 AM   #2
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Aakerstrom

A template that was fine last week just returned with "This page is not Valid (no Doctype found)!" after I've completed the work on it, and with most of the letters from it displayed as boxes instead of the actual letters.
If it says "No Doctype found" is the DOCTYPE declaration really missing or is it actualy there, and in the correct place (before all HTML)? Without a DOCTYPE declaration (and no HTML before it!) it will never validate.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:07 AM   #3
Bo Aakerstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
If it says "No Doctype found" is the DOCTYPE declaration really missing or is it actualy there, and in the correct place (before all HTML)? Without a DOCTYPE declaration (and no HTML before it!) it will never validate.
Everything that should be there is there.

The page did validate, all I've done is adding some content, i.e. text and images.

Last edited by Bo Aakerstrom; 03-01-2006 at 10:09 AM. Reason: change the wording
Old 03-01-2006, 10:34 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
The page did validate, all I've done is adding some content, i.e. text and images.
Can you post a URL? Maybe some of us will (or will not) have a problem with the page, which might help you puzzle this out.

Old 03-01-2006, 11:11 AM   #5
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:

Just wondered if anyone else have experienced something like that recently or in the past.
I'm assuming that it is in the validation screen that the text is displaying strangely, and not on the site itself.

The W3C validation is a work in progress, which is why we all seem to occasionally find that we get warnings on pages that used to validate.

I'll try validating one of my pages that I change content on frequently. Hang on a minute...

Well, that went perfectly. Try yours again and see if the W3C has settled down.

Old 03-01-2006, 11:43 AM   #6
Bo Aakerstrom

Started anew from the template. It does validate now.

Must have been a glitch somewhere along the line. It took quite a long time to upload to the validating service when it didn't validate my code, so it could have been a temporary problem.

I panicked a bit, the site is going live by the weekend - it'll be a few late nights...