DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 02-21-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
Clayton

Default Don't Even Know What to Title This...

I received a Word file from our sister company. The end result was supposed to be a 5.5W x 8H double-sided, but the document is formatted on letter-size paper, landscape layout, 2-column. The left column contains the even-numbered pages, the right column contains the odd-numbered pages. Needless to say, the printed document is a mess.

Word offers no way that I have found to print printer's spreads, much less printer's spreads doublesided. My job is to "redo" the manual, and I will redo it in Ventura, which offers double-sided printing in printer's spreads.

Before I do, I thought I would check to see if maybe someone knows how to lay out the document in Word so I can get my printer's spreads on 8.5 x 11 paper landscape format??

BTW, the finished product will be a PDF, either from Adobe ver 6 or from Jaws, but I can't find a printer's spread layout in those either.
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:04 PM   #2
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

I cannot understand what u are trying to print - I know that Xerox have imposition schemes on the Docutec - and it would be easy to make pdfs and get it printed
Peter
:-) I doubt whther its that simple though
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:31 AM   #3
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Please, please don't even think of trying to do this in Word. Copy the text and paste it into a page layout program. Hell, use the free Beta of Quark 7 if you don't want to fork out the dosh!
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:46 PM   #4
Michael Rowley

Clayton:

'Word offers no way that I have found to print printer's spreads'

Word doesn't, but there are several add-ons that claim to print booklets from Word documents.

Old 02-22-2006, 01:21 PM   #5
BobRoosth

Been there, done that! You have my condolences. The only way I know to create printer's spreads in Word would be to use text frames. I would think that to be as much work as importing into Ventura and doing it right. And the text will look better.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 01:59 AM   #6
LoisWakeman
Staff

Clayton,

As I am sure you know, it's a mistake to regard Word as DTP: it is a WP at heart! There is no way to do what you want (i.e imposition) automatically, but there are add-ons which I haven't tried.

I look after a 24-page booklet for a local gardening society that is done in Word. That is laid out as two columns on landscape paper (A4 for an A5 finished page size). I did the imposition myself manually, by working out* the page pairs and cutting and pasting the text to suit. I need to use hard column breaks and fiddle about when changes mean that text flows over a column.

* A printer's dummy is helpful here

If I had realised that I would still be doing the same job 6 years later, I'd have converted the whole project at the outset to use CorelDraw which does do imposition and has much better ways of linking page flows. But now I am too busy to take the time to save it later on!
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:05 AM   #7
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

I Robin
Have u had problems - making pdf,s from word - its always my get out of jail card
Peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:57 AM   #8
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Wotcha Peter! Creating single page PDFs from Word is easy if you have Aggrobrat, but imposing 'em as well? Uh-uh, I don't think so.

Robin (groaning from his sickbed)
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:26 AM   #9
Clayton

Ventura is obviously the way to go, but since I'm doing this in Colorado for somebody in Chicago, Word is the best way to get the contents to everybody's liking, assuming of course they know how to do mark-up in Word.

So I'll just go ahead and do the job in Word and when everybody has approved the contents, I can RTF it, drop it into Ventura, and print printer's spreads via JAWs.

Just thought I'd check for any "hidden secret way" out here first.
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:25 AM   #10
LoisWakeman
Staff

Ah - Ventura. Used to be my favourite app a long time ago - but fell out of use when clients insisted on being able to do their own review and recycling in Word. I still miss side-by side paras....

I was also more than a little annoyed when Corel took it over and made it so expensive for em to upgrade despite already having Ventura and CorelDraw licenses.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote