DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-2006, 07:26 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Free Mac image viewer, organizer

Compared to some of the image managers we have been discussing here, VitaminSEE by Elliot Glaysher does not aspire to image management. But I thought it might help me corral some of my folders of images of various types: digital photos, edited photos, client images, logos, avatars, and so on.

As soon as you launch the program it grabs every image within range. Since it is absolutely kosher Mac/Tiger software, that means all images in the Pictures folder, which on my system is empty. Yet it makes thumbnails of an empty folder there for each year since 1999.

I keep photos in a Pix folder on a separate volume, web images in my Web Sites volume, and so on. When I pointed VitaminSEE there, it collected the images — and any other files it ran into, including text and other irrelevancies. It creates thumbnails automatically, even of folders of tax papers (mainly file and page icons).

The program is lightning-fast, I will say that. It is easy to move things around (though not so obvious how to delete folders from its purvue).

It supports keyword tagging, but I do not see how to tag individual images or directories with key words. Since it has very little in the way of documentation, it takes some puzzling to figure anything out.

Oddly, the images all look kind of dark (though they look better in Photoshop, Preview, or iPhoto). And there is no provision for rotation (that I can tell). With these problems it is hard to see the details in any image.

I suspect this would be a useful tool for a computer user who sets up everything the Mac way — all pictures in the Pictures folder, for example. And for someone with less grandiose notions of what would be useful. But for someone like me, no dice.

Too bad. It is slick and quick and rather charming in its way.