DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 02-16-2006, 06:49 AM   #1
Howard White

Default Strizver: Type Rules!

Because I have bought type-related books before, Amazon.com is now touting a new book called "Type Rules! :The Designer's Guide to Professional Typography." by Ilene Strizver.

I know nothing about Ilene Strizver except that she is founder of The Font Studio and apparently based in Sofia, Bulgaria.

What are the prospects this book is worth $45 (paperback)?

I note that the Amazon page includes a "must-have" rave from Prof. Ed Benguiat.

HW
Howard White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:48 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard White
Because I have bought type-related books before, Amazon.com is now touting a new book called "Type Rules! :The Designer's Guide to Professional Typography." by Ilene Strizver.
Ilene was in charge of typeface development at ITC, where she worked with Allan Haley and Ed Benguiat. Unless she has moved recently, she lives in Connecticut. (She teaches part-time in NYC — Bulgaria would be quite a commute.)

The book was first published five or so years ago; this is the second edition. Whether it would be useful to you depends on what you are interested in. I can’t find my copy to check, but as I remember it, the book is mostly a guide to advertising typography rather than a type usage manual.

(I am changing the title — it gave me a start to see just Ilene’s name alone, somewhat like an obituary!)

Old 02-16-2006, 08:17 AM   #3
Howard White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Ilene was in charge of typeface development at ITC, where she worked with Allan Haley and Ed Benguiat. Unless she has moved recently, she lives in Connecticut. (She teaches part-time in NYC — Bulgaria would be quite a commute.)
(I am changing the title — it gave me a start to see just Ilene’s name alone, somewhat like an obituary!)
I have a Firefox Extension which displays info about an IP address when you mouse over a name; it gives the location of The Type Studio as Sofia.

Editorial name change accepted/appreciated.

Amazon does not bill this as a second edition, just as a pre-release. It suggests I also buy "Thinking with Type...." by Ellen Lupton. (I know nothing of her, either.)

HW
Old 02-16-2006, 08:39 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Amazon does not bill this as a second edition, just as a pre-release. It suggests I also buy "Thinking with Type...." by Ellen Lupton. (I know nothing of her, either.)
I was disappointed with the Lupton book. But I can’t seem to find that now, either. I semi-remember that its target was college-level design students, but hate to say anything until I have a chance to refresh my memory.

If you are interested in usage guides, I would need to think about it. Some of the old books (Oliver Simon, Ruari McLean, et al) offer excellent advice but much of it needs to be translated to the digital world. Many new ones are computer/software related and give (IMHO) puzzling advice.

Some interesting books on aspects of type (which you may already have read):
  • Counterpunch: Making type in the 16th century, designing typefaces now by Fred Smeijers
  • Anatomy of a Typeface by Alexander Lawson
  • Letters of Credit: A view of type design by Walter Tracy
But these are not usage manuals so much as guides to the historical context.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:54 AM   #5
Norbert

Ilene Strizver and I are putting together the Type Education program for this coming TypeCon 2006 being held in Boston in August.

Howard, I notice you live in Hudson, Mass. You might want to mark it on your calendar and sit in for a few sessions. James Craig, author of "Designing with Type" will also be there with us.

Kathleen - I hope to see you there as well.
Norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:16 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert
Ilene Strizver and I are putting together the Type Education program for this coming TypeCon 2006 being held in Boston in August.

Nice idea — I would love to. Have to see how my stupid back is, though. I have been meaning to go to a TypeCon since the very first, and haven’t managed to make even one.

And Boston in August is SO-O-O comfortable, too! <g>

Old 02-17-2006, 05:01 PM   #7
Howard White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert

Howard, I notice you live in Hudson, Mass. You might want to mark it on your calendar and sit in for a few sessions. James Craig, author of "Designing with Type" will also be there with us.

Second invite I've had to TypeCon..maybe I'll go. (First invite, of sorts, was from Susan Darbyshire, who was the designer at Scitex until the bad days came on.)

HW
Old 02-17-2006, 07:02 PM   #8
Norbert

Quote:
First invite, of sorts, was from Susan Darbyshire...
HW
It's a small (type) world. I actually contacted Susan Darbyshire months ago to get her involved. Susan and I worked together at Agfa, and she was my virtual right arm when we managed the The Type Directors Club Travelling Exhibit for years. I think TypeCon can be a reunion of sorts.
Norbert is offline   Reply With Quote