DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 01-27-2005, 04:31 PM   #1
John Spragens

Default Time to get Stoned?

Creativepro had a pointer to a tempting new font from Sumner Stone -- Magma.

While I was looking around on the site, I also found Cycles, which was new to me.

Haven't spent any money (or invented projects that really need either), but they look like they'd be fun to use.

Last edited by ktinkel; 01-27-2005 at 04:42 PM.
John Spragens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 05:00 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Spragens
Creativepro had a pointer to a tempting new font from Sumner Stone -- Magma.

While I was looking around on the site, I also found Cycles, which was new to me.

Haven't spent any money (or invented projects that really need either), but they look like they'd be fun to use.
Sumner Stone is one of my favorite designers. He was director of type development in the early days at Adobe.

His Silica is one of my all-time favorite slab serif faces, and ITC Bodoni, which was developed under Sumner’s guidance, is the best Bodoni available today, as it includes bracketed serifs, as in the originals. (Most 20th-century Bodonis pretend there are no brackets, and most are hard to read, in part for that reason.)

Arepo (which as you may notice is Opera spelled backwards) is a lovely face.

Cycles is also superb. He designed it for a book of his wife’s (noted photographer Judy Dater) work.

So is Stone Print, especially if you need to produce a newspaper or newsletter or other narrow-columned publication. This was introduced in Print magazine in the early 1990s; Print has just recently undergone a redo, and abandoned the face — not, I suspect, for the better.

I also really like the original Stone extended family. Stone Sans and Stone Informal were designed especially for the low-res [300 dpi] LaserWriter, but they as well as Stone (serif) are well designed in the classical sense, with obeisance to both calligraphy and oldstyle type design. They work well no matter what resolution.

Magma is new to me, but it looks very useful (especially the set designed for use when knocked out).

I am glad to see that Sumner is still working on type; I thought he had retired.

[BTW: I cloaked your URLs to make the message easier to read. I hope you don’t mind.]

Old 01-28-2005, 04:59 AM   #3
Norman Hathaway

Wow. Hats off for the thread title KT !
Norman Hathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 05:47 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Hathaway
Wow. Hats off for the thread title KT !
Thanks, but all credit goes to John Spragens!

Old 01-28-2005, 07:05 AM   #5
John Spragens

Ah, thanks for linking the links. That provoked me to look around a bit and find out how to do it myself. Maybe I'll even remember ...
John Spragens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 07:46 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Spragens
Ah, thanks for linking the links. That provoked me to look around a bit and find out how to do it myself. Maybe I'll even remember ...
You don’t have to remember, really — just click on the vB Code Is On link and you’ll get a handy-dandy crib sheet. I pull it off to the side, and copy what I need.

I’m active on several PHP boards of different flavors, and they all have slightly different rules, so the crib sheets are a godsend!

Old 02-13-2005, 02:46 PM   #7
fhaber

Wow, Cycles is certainly a knockout onscreen As a Yahoo (g), I'd love to see its text color as set in a 55-wide classic paragraph, at my max res - 1200dpi laser, on indifferent paper from Staples. Stone's fonts have always excelled under abuse (g).

Stone's stuff also usually looks better than the competition on a monitor, as opposed to printed. He's a devil that way, isn't he?

Has anyone ever commented here on the fact that paper amd screem are converging, in the era of LCD flat panel monitors? The hazy glow that CRTs produce onscreen is becoming the exception, rather than the rule, and (for me) screen matches paper much better now. Comments?
fhaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 04:57 PM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhaber
Stone's stuff also usually looks better than the competition on a monitor, as opposed to printed. He's a devil that way, isn't he?
Maybe. But he is a master in print.

It happens Sumner went to the same college I did (as did Chuck Bigelow and Kris Holmes, of Lucida fame; and Steve Jobs, briefly), which was dominated by the American master of calligraphy, Lloyd Reynolds. More than anything else, I find Stone’s fonts to reflect a calligraphic background.

Anyway, he did develop the Stone family (especially Informal and Sans) to accommodate low-resolution (300 dpi) printers. But he also oversaw ITC Bodoni — a face that really does not appreciate resolution restrictions — and did a masterly job. It is, bar none, the best Bodoni since Bodoni himself (and Bodoni had to create a different design for every size and style, and spent a lifetime doing it).

Quote:
Has anyone ever commented here on the fact that paper and screen are converging, in the era of LCD flat panel monitors? The hazy glow that CRTs produce onscreen is becoming the exception, rather than the rule, and (for me) screen matches paper much better now. Comments?
I don’t know if anyone has made that point. I probably wouldn’t. In fact, I think the luminance of any monitor is enough to make online type really different from print type.

On the other hand (I often play my own devil’s advocate), a good LCD monitor makes text look more like text on paper than anything I have seen before.

But the luminance still makes problems. I would still rather read ink on paper than dots on the screen. Do you really relish the notion of reading a novel on the screen?

Old 02-13-2005, 04:58 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Wow, Cycles is certainly a knockout onscreen
Sumner Stone designed Cycles for his wife, noted photographer Judy Dater. They used it in a book on her work.

Just a note.

Old 02-14-2005, 07:01 AM   #10
fhaber

Were you all together in that college at the same time? Did you appreciate the fact that you were in typographic Valhalla?

(Paper vs. glowing screen): I rarely see anyone make that point in the PC world. It deserves mentioning occasionally, even at the expense of ridiculously over-marketing my point (g). I dimly recall how much more legible the Mac fonts (even bitmap) were in the 9" screen days, so it's probably common wisdom there, right? And don't I remember that IBM did some research on this in the really primitive (character generator, fixed-pitch, 9x14 dots) days?

(Reading novels onscreen): We all do these days, at least in quantity, and it's painful, and that's affected discourse, I think (trying to be measured).

Did anything widely available ever use Stone's Bodoni for a body face? I might look it up at 42nd street, if it hasn't been stolen yet (no g).
fhaber is offline   Reply With Quote