DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 02-11-2006, 09:48 AM   #1
Daudio

Default Blind patrons sue Target for site inaccessibility

the cNet Article

Quote:
Target.com is "powered by Amazon.com," something defined on the site as utilizing "Amazon.com technology and patented Web site capabilities such as 1-Click checkout to make shopping faster and more convenient for you."
Basrawi says it's not clear if that Amazon technology is leading to the inaccessibility issues, but he knows of other "powered by Amazon" retail sites that are problematic for the blind.

DaveAyers.com, Brass Backshop Forum
Daudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 02:20 PM   #2
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)

I love hearing this! I hope the guy wins and it's upheld on appeal. My marketability will go way up. ;->

Old 02-11-2006, 03:01 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Very cool...I hope they win the suit...I'm glad that the article noted that they'd tried to negotiate with Target before filing suit...

Buydig.com was sued by a hearing impaired person when they wouldn't accept a relay call--this is a very common problem.

I had read about the suit (it was successful) before ordering my camera from the site. The thing that was funny was that I'd mistyped my zip code when I placed my order (not deliberate) and received an email that they couldn't process the order unless I called them.

I have a captioned telephone. Very cool, called CapTel and it looks like a regular phone except it has a small screen. When I pick up the handset, I dial the number like anyone else would and the call automatically goes through to a captioning/relay center where the communication assistants use speech recognition software. They repeat what the person I'm calling says (transparent to both sides of the conversation) and the text appears on the screen. It's not perfect (on a scale of 1-10, it's about a 6-7) but it's pretty good and I speak for myself...

Sooo...anyway, I make the call to buydig.com and I explain (as I usually do) that I'm hearing impaired and calling on a special phone and that there will be a little bit of a lag before I can respond to what they've said as I have to wait for the text to appear on the screen.

They were very nice...no problems at all...

I wonder if because of the suit, they were now more aware of what relay calls were all about...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:04 PM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daudio
"...he knows of other "powered by Amazon" retail sites that are problematic for the blind"
As is the Amazon site itself, of course... no surprise there.

Good news - and maybe bad news for Amazon! Some times some companies need a kick in the pants to start to really listen.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:08 PM   #5
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
As is the Amazon site itself, of course... no surprise there.

Good news - and maybe bad news for Amazon! Some times some companies need a kick in the pants to start to really listen.
Marjolein,

For another amazing occurence, we fully agree.

When I do my campaign sites, I insist on accessibility and explain that Federal US government sites require it by law, but I will only work for Democrats that feel the same way. When I tell my candidates I code for the blind, they're always surprised blind people use the Internet. I have never had a Democrat ask me to violote any usability standard.

www.whitehouse.gov, on the other hand, violoates usability all over the place.

Yes, sorry, this is a very partisan comment for this forum. But in my experience, Republicans care about accessibility as much as they care about tax cuts for the poor.