DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 02-11-2006, 05:56 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default 60s live rock on the web!

On Weekend Edition Saturday host Scott Simon interviewed a guy who has acquired Bill Graham’s archives, thousands of audio tapes of concerts at the Fillmore and elsewhere from the 1960s up to the 1990s. Included are Janis Joplin, Neil Young, Frank Zappa, Jimi Hendrix, Grateful Dead, The Doors, Cream, Rolling Stones, Country Joe & the Fish, and many, many more.

He has set up a web radio site called Vault Radio where you can listen to unedited FM-quality (128K digital) performances from this archive. By next fall he hopes to allow download and purchase of some of these. He also sells posters, t-shirts, photos, and memorabilia from the collection.

That’s the good news.

The bad news is the web site, which is a mess. It is either over-burdened or badly designed (or both). I was able to hear only snatches of the James Taylor cut that was playing this morning, interrupted by long silences. The home page of the site redraws repeatedly (which may be adding to the load there!)

Because of that, I was considering not including a link to the site. But I am also curious to know what experiences others have, so have provided a link. It appears to be on Windows servers (lots of asp? stuff); and I suppose it could have been designed for MSIE6 only. Who knows what the problem is, but if anyone figures out how to make it work reliably, please let me know.

The content must be spectacular!

Old 02-11-2006, 11:09 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Well, I wrote to the webmaster and described my experiences with Vault Radio this morning, and he wrote back within an hour or two that they had been unprepared for the response from the NPR interview but were back on track.

So I went back to listen, and it is working now. It is like the best rock radio stations of the late 1960s (but without any ads at all), or maybe like listening to the sort of playlist we used to find on airplanes — a mix of musicians and pieces. But instead of listening to records we are hearing live tapings from concerts, replete with audible asides, audience reactions, and other untidy but pleasurable bits.

In the course of about 45 minutes I heard James Taylor, Taj Mahal, Neil Young, Arethra Franklin, Janis Joplin, early Bruce Springsteen, and a couple of others I couldn’t identify.

If you appreciate the music of the 1960s, I recommend this site. It’s playing now while I work. (The site could still use some help, but the music player is working fine, except that there is no identification of which performer is playing.)

Old 02-11-2006, 01:46 PM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Ah, thanks for posting that ... I heard the piece on the radio, but only darkly through the precaffeine fog. Then forgot all about it.

FWIW, it's playing through Opera on a PC) just fine at the moment.
I'm also trying to get it to work in Safari and MacMSIE ... no luck.
The site doesn't go too wonko but the player thingie sits on "Loading ..." but never does.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 01:46 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
... except that there is no identification of which performer is playing.)
Hmm, I have a window that identifies the performer, venue and date.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 4.png
Views:	95
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	382  

Old 02-11-2006, 01:48 PM   #5
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg
Ah, thanks for posting that ... I heard the piece on the radio, but only darkly through the precaffeine fog. Then forgot all about it.

FWIW, it's playing through Opera on a PC) just fine at the moment.
I'm also trying to get it to work in Safari and MacMSIE ... no luck.
The site doesn't go too wonko but the player thingie sits on "Loading ..." but never does.
It's working for me in Safari and Camino. Haven't tried any other browsers. Currently listening to Jimi Hendrix.

Last edited by annc; 02-11-2006 at 01:59 PM.
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 05:07 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg
Ah, thanks for posting that ... FWIW, it's playing through Opera on a PC) just fine at the moment.
It sort of works on Mac Firefox. I will try Opera, just in case it is better.

Since they were courteous enough to reply to my comments this morning, perhaps they will be open to another comment!

Old 02-11-2006, 05:09 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
Hmm, I have a window that identifies the performer, venue and date.
Not me, using Firefox. I have attached what I see.

It says something about Taj Mahal, but that is not what is playing. In fact, it has been showing references to Taj Mahal all day, but it makes no sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wolfgang.png
Views:	86
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	383  

Old 02-11-2006, 05:20 PM   #8
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Not me, using Firefox. I have attached what I see.

It says something about Taj Mahal, but that is not what is playing. In fact, it has been showing references to Taj Mahal all day, but it makes no sense.
It seems to update after each set, not each song. When the voice-over comes on it updates my screen.

Old 02-11-2006, 05:22 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
It seems to update after each set, not each song. When the voice-over comes on it updates my screen.
I switched to Opera; no difference from Firefox.

Now I am listening via Safari, and the display is different; says I am hearing Frank Zappa (not sure if that is true), and has a picture of him (which I do recognize).

Now it is John Sebastian, and his image is displayed.

So I guess I need to use Safari for this. Tsk. Should not be browser specific!

Old 02-11-2006, 05:42 PM   #10
Franca
Staff

It works perfectly for me in Firefox on PC. It even updates the info with each song. Thanks for posting the link - how cool! I missed the NPR blurb so would never have found it on my own.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote