DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 02-05-2006, 06:14 PM   #11
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>>One snag about Word styles is that there are more than a hundred built-in styles;

Which I told them not to use. All of the styles I created for them had a unique prefix so there'd be no doubt in anyone's mind. If the built in styles went away during translation, that'd be no loss in this case.

> The other snag is that people make astonishingly complex Word documents without consciously using styles at all

Yes, they did. And I undid it all. And told them that if they re-did it, any further help would come from some other source. I'm a grouch when I'm working for free and they don't pay attention to me.

That's good news on the whole, then.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:24 AM   #12
Norman Hathaway

Steve

If I PayPal'd you a dollar, would you send me one of your styled docs? I'd love to have a look at to see the proper way to prepare one.

-N
Norman Hathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:39 AM   #13
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

If I can scare up a copy, maybe I can just remove the bulk of the content and replace it with innocuous stuff.

OTOH, I don't pretend to be an expert at this, just a firm believer in defining a style once instead of manually applying the style's attributes over and over again. Which is the long way of saying that what I've done may not be "best practice" ... just better than what my "client" was doing.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 02-06-2006, 11:12 AM   #14
Norman Hathaway

I'm not picky Steve.

Really.
Norman Hathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:01 PM   #15
Michael Rowley

Steve:

'just a firm believer in defining a style once instead of manually applying the style's attributes over and over again'

Is there any other way? Mind you, you can redefine Word styles just for the document you're working on, which is probably the best way if you're not sure that you'll ever be writing a document of that kind again.

Old 02-06-2006, 07:19 PM   #16
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
Steve:

'just a firm believer in defining a style once instead of manually applying the style's attributes over and over again'

Is there any other way? Mind you, you can redefine Word styles just for the document you're working on, which is probably the best way if you're not sure that you'll ever be writing a document of that kind again.
Any other way? Why yes! The way most innocent users do everything.

Select the text. Apply the font they want. Apply the size. Apply the .... well, all of it. A click at a time. Then do it all over for the next batch of text. Then do it all over when the formatting needs to change.

I get nasty when I'm trying to explain style and the beneficiary of this about-to-be-imparted life-changing wisdom tells me they haven't the *time* to learn this.

Ah. Well. I've only the time to fix this mess once. I can teach you how not to make further messes or I can leave you to wallow in this one.

Tsk. No patience whatsoever.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 02-07-2006, 07:43 AM   #17
Michael Rowley

Steve:

'Any other way?'

I meant the question ironically. I see quite a lot of Word documents, and not many use styles as you have described. I do, but then I started doing it in the DOS days, when there was a very good handbook for Word; then, you couldn't sell a WP program that hadn't got a good handbook (as WordPerfect found: it had a handbook, but almost anything you read referred you to some other page).

Old 02-07-2006, 08:00 PM   #18
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Ah. Irony. And without smilies. I remember that from when I was younger. Haven't they banned that or something?

www.pptools.com
and stuff