DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2006, 12:46 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Cable modem setup: Oy!

After long intermittent troubles and recent protracted debacle with DSL, after something like 8 years I signed up with Optimum Online cable service. Tried to set it up day; in fact I am typing on it right now.

But I cannot get it to work with my router or hub, which is a disaster. Without those, I have no printer, and if I want to work on the old G4 in the printer room, I have no internet. Phooey.

When I set up and registered the service, I had it plugged directly into my Mac, and after a couple of fussy little glitches (I started the computer with the Optimum setup CD in the drive, which made the process fail), I was fine. Registered online, checked Chat, web, e-mail. All fine.

Then I shut down and set up the network.

A lot had to change. The DSL was in the printer room because that is the only room in this house where the phone line enters. But the cable could be anywhere, and because this office has better line of sight for Airport, we brought the cable in here. (And it is much easier for troubleshooting the connection to have it near my Mac.)

Then we unplugged everything from everywhere (a bad idea, it turns out), and set things up with the router in here: cable modem in uplink; new G4, Airport, and ethernet running to the other room. There we plugged in the cable from the router here as uplink and plugged in the HP printer and the old G4.

When I got back to my Mac, I could not connect. When I checked Network in System Prefs, it reported that there was no connection to the internet. Yet I was able to print from here to the HP printer in the other room, so it appears both the router and hub are working.

I unplugged my Mac from the router, plugged it directly into the cable box, and here I am.

Does anyone have any suggestion as how to trouble-shoot this mess? I have gone through the supplied manuals, and have no advice from them on how to insert routers and hubs into the equation. What I have now did work with the DSL, and the Optimum license explicitly allows use with up to 10 computers, so it is not that a router is forbidden.

I am stumped. Any bright ideas?