DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 02-07-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Cable modem setup: Oy!

After long intermittent troubles and recent protracted debacle with DSL, after something like 8 years I signed up with Optimum Online cable service. Tried to set it up day; in fact I am typing on it right now.

But I cannot get it to work with my router or hub, which is a disaster. Without those, I have no printer, and if I want to work on the old G4 in the printer room, I have no internet. Phooey.

When I set up and registered the service, I had it plugged directly into my Mac, and after a couple of fussy little glitches (I started the computer with the Optimum setup CD in the drive, which made the process fail), I was fine. Registered online, checked Chat, web, e-mail. All fine.

Then I shut down and set up the network.

A lot had to change. The DSL was in the printer room because that is the only room in this house where the phone line enters. But the cable could be anywhere, and because this office has better line of sight for Airport, we brought the cable in here. (And it is much easier for troubleshooting the connection to have it near my Mac.)

Then we unplugged everything from everywhere (a bad idea, it turns out), and set things up with the router in here: cable modem in uplink; new G4, Airport, and ethernet running to the other room. There we plugged in the cable from the router here as uplink and plugged in the HP printer and the old G4.

When I got back to my Mac, I could not connect. When I checked Network in System Prefs, it reported that there was no connection to the internet. Yet I was able to print from here to the HP printer in the other room, so it appears both the router and hub are working.

I unplugged my Mac from the router, plugged it directly into the cable box, and here I am.

Does anyone have any suggestion as how to trouble-shoot this mess? I have gone through the supplied manuals, and have no advice from them on how to insert routers and hubs into the equation. What I have now did work with the DSL, and the Optimum license explicitly allows use with up to 10 computers, so it is not that a router is forbidden.

I am stumped. Any bright ideas?

Old 02-07-2006, 02:25 PM   #2
Franca
Staff

I don't know what Optimum's customer service is like, but I called Charter to help me set up my cable modem before even attempting it on my own. I know, I'm such a wimp. But they were very helpful - they even sent someone out at no charge to me.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:31 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
I called Charter to help me set up my cable modem before even attempting it on my own. I know, I'm such a wimp. But they were very helpful - they even sent someone out at no charge to me.
They will walk me through it over the phone, but I find that too painful to contemplate. I have had DSL for years, with router and hub and all the rest, so figured this would be easy.

Maybe tomorrow my brain will be fresher. It is really a pain not to have the printer. I have been printing to a little inkjet that is in here, but it is silly when I have a fast laser printer down the hall. And I really want to have Airport working, too.

Grr.

Old 02-07-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
Kelvyn
Staff

You may need a firmware update to your router to connect to cable. For networking/DSL problems I have always found http://www.practicallynetworked.com to be useful.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:23 PM   #5
BobRoosth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
But I cannot get it to work with my router or hub, which is a disaster. Without those, I have no printer, and if I want to work on the old G4 in the printer room, I have no internet. Phooey.
Some cable modems are configured to only work with the MAC address of the computer they are first configured with. Tech support for your provider should be able to tell you if that is true. If that is true and they will not reset it for your router, most routers can be told to clone the MAC address of the computer.

I have also had to simply power cycle all pieces to get them talking. I assume you did that long ago, but have to mention it.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 05:52 PM   #6
gary

They probably use the "MAC address" of your computer's ethernet adapter to register your connection; you may need to have your router "Clone" your MAC address.

If it is a Linksys router it's straight-forward -- you just need to do the cloning from the system which used to be directly connected to the cable modem.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:10 PM   #7
fhaber

Try to find out whether your DSL provider needed "PPPoE" (over Ethernet). It's a setting, usually on the first page of your router's setup. You need to disable that, and (probably) enable DHCP to get a dynamic address from Optimum.

But I'm guessing. Call. Do not contemplate. Call.
fhaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:56 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary
They probably use the "MAC address" of your computer's ethernet adapter to register your connection; you may need to have your router "Clone" your MAC address.

If it is a Linksys router it's straight-forward -- you just need to do the cloning from the system which used to be directly connected to the cable modem.
Now this rings a bell, from when I first set up DSL. It is a Netgear router, and I think you do stuff like that online. Now if I can just figure out how/where to do that …

Now I wish I had your stack of index cards; might have noted the information. Maybe.

Thanks.

Old 02-08-2006, 09:59 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRoosth
If that is true and they will not reset it for your router, most routers can be told to clone the MAC address of the computer.
I suspect that is what is going on here. Could I have avoided all this if I had installed via the router in the first place, I wonder? Oh, well. That water has passed under the bridge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRoosth
I have also had to simply power cycle all pieces to get them talking. I assume you did that long ago, but have to mention it.
I have done it and done it. Their help page has a very specific list of how to do it, so later today I will follow those instructions to the last jot and tittle, see if that does the job.

Thanks.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:04 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhaber
Try to find out whether your DSL provider needed "PPPoE" (over Ethernet). It's a setting, usually on the first page of your router's setup. You need to disable that, and (probably) enable DHCP to get a dynamic address from Optimum.

But I'm guessing. Call. Do not contemplate. Call.
Thanks, Frank. I am sure that calling is good advice (at some point).

The installer created an Optimum Online location automatically. It is set to use DHCP and shows the Router address, so I don’t think that is the problem here. I’ll first do exactly what their support sheet recommended; if that doesn’t work, I will call.

But how I hate calling tech support …