DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 02-06-2006, 06:28 PM   #1
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)
Default GZ files, a good free or cheap tool?

My new host only provides raw logs; Any suggestions on cheap or free analyzern tools?

Old 02-06-2006, 11:45 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoyle
My new host only provides raw logs; Any suggestions on cheap or free analyzern tools?
Analog is the daddy of the free ones. It takes a bit of setting up, but does a reasonable job.

I use Summary, which is cheap and has a free trial.

Old 02-07-2006, 12:21 AM   #3
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
My new host only provides raw logs
Good. Too many don't provide access to logs and just provide an elementary reporting system. I use Weblog Expert which provides most of the information I require. There is also a lite (free) version of the analyser.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:13 AM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
Good. Too many don't provide access to logs and just provide an elementary reporting system. I use Weblog Expert which provides most of the information I require. There is also a lite (free) version of the analyser.
How well does that do in reporting browsers? I looked at the sample report and immediately noticed only "Opera" mentioned, with no version number, while IE gets reported with version numbers. Does it recognize Opera even when it "poses" as another browser? Far too many weblog analyzers don't do this (none that I tested ever got browser detection right!) - to the point that I'm not using any program, and only the (limited) free statistics on my blog for origin information (countries are important to me) and if I really need to know about browsers, I just read the raw logs...

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:46 AM   #5
dacoyle

Analog is one of the ones tech support suggested. I downloaded it this morning and will test with it tonight.

Old 02-07-2006, 08:47 AM   #6
dacoyle

I think that's one I found on my own last night... tried a test report, but either I didn't run it correctly or the new site is already getting more traffic than I expected this early...

Old 02-07-2006, 09:23 AM   #7
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
Does it recognize Opera even when it "poses" as another browser?
Pardon my ignorance, but how would any analyzer do that? AFAIK all the analyzer has to look at is what the browser says it is.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:43 AM   #8
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary
Pardon my ignorance, but how would any analyzer do that? AFAIK all the analyzer has to look at is what the browser says it is.
If you're trying to judge how many people visit your site with Opera, its capabilities don't change if it's posing as Internet Explorer or Safari... You need the actual numbers to know how important it is to test with Opera (and which versions), and make fixes when it shows some weirdness not seen in more compliant browsers.

When Opera is "posing" as another browser it uses a user-agent string similar to the browser it's posing as - but always adds the string Opera to that (at the end), and often the version number as well. So if an analyzer looks for a particular IE user agent string, it may may see only IE and not "see" Opera; if instead it looks for the string "Opera" it will get more realistic results. A matter of applying the string-matching in an intelligent way, knowing what tricks some browsers are using... and very few analyzer programs are that intelligent.

(I tried one once where you could actually define the regular expressions to look for, but it had a lot of other problems (that I forget) so after a lot of mails backwards and forwards I gave up.)

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:27 AM   #9
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
I downloaded it this morning and will test with it tonight.
My biggest complaint with Analog is that it treats Safari as a Gecko browser, so you never get any stats for it unless you look at the detailed logs (such as those shown in Report Magic).

Old 02-07-2006, 04:56 PM   #10
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
... but always adds the string Opera to that (at the end), and often the version number as well.
Got it; off browsing access logs for curiosity sake...

[26/Sep/2005:13:27:17 -0500] "GET /images/ReliabilitySeal2.gif HTTP/1.1" 200 3500 "http://join.quty.com/q,d/Auction" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; en) Opera 8.02"
gary is offline   Reply With Quote