DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 02-03-2006, 08:32 AM   #1
Norman Hathaway

Default Asset management software

I need to create a db for illustrations, graphic elements and photos- to be used by aproximately 10 people.

Is Portfolio still the going thing- or has something else surpassed it?

I've used it and FM Pro, but it's been about 5 years, so looking for confirmation that I'm still on track.

Thanks,

N
Norman Hathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:28 AM   #2
terrie
Staff

Take a look at the Photo Management Software thread and at the Principles of Photo Management thread...both should give you some ideas...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 10:33 AM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Hathaway
I need to create a db for illustrations, graphic elements and photos- to be used by aproximately 10 people.

Is Portfolio still the going thing- or has something else surpassed it?

I've used it and FM Pro, but it's been about 5 years, so looking for confirmation that I'm still on track.
I keep intending to write myself a database in FileMaker Pro, but don't have the latest versions (7+) to test it to see if it's become more efficient in its method of handling the thumbnails.

Old 02-03-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

stick with FM - i think u can down load FM 8 for a trial - its completely rewritten - u get pdf creation the whole lot
Peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 03:55 PM   #5
Norman Hathaway

Can it automatically generate thumbnails from ai, pshop, tif etc.?
Norman Hathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 10:54 AM   #6
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

I saw a very nice how-to on that browser doodad built into Photoshop and, until yesterday, had intended to purchase Portfolio, but I now think I'll be able to do what I need and better with the Photoshop feature.

Old 02-06-2006, 03:07 PM   #7
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC
I saw a very nice how-to on that browser doodad built into Photoshop and, until yesterday, had intended to purchase Portfolio, but I now think I'll be able to do what I need and better with the Photoshop feature.
So long as you don't need to review thumbs of files that are "off line." I need to find the CD/DVD all the time, and so far, Bridge can't do that. I keep hoping, mind, but I haven't heard them say they intend to become a full-featured asset manager.

Old 02-07-2006, 12:19 AM   #8
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen Gillespie
So long as you don't need to review thumbs of files that are "off line." I need to find the CD/DVD all the time, and so far, Bridge can't do that. I keep hoping, mind, but I haven't heard them say they intend to become a full-featured asset manager.
That's because it's essentially a browser, not a cataloguer. Two different beasts.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:58 AM   #9
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
That's because it's essentially a browser, not a cataloguer. Two different beasts.
It is a different beast, so it scarcely suits all purposes, as we've discussed (and thank you for that discussion--has me rethinking a lot of what I do).

But it's a weird one to call a browser, as well. They need to come up with some other name for inbetweeners. I think of a browser as showing you just what is there. So maybe I'm wrong about that, but since Bridge does more than browse, it's neither fish nor fowl nor good red herring, as my grandmother used to say.

In fact, if it offered offline "browsing," it wouldn't be that much different in capabilities for most of use from Portfolio (standard, not server version), and would have a few extras that Portfolio doesn't have, assuming the user uses the whole Suite.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:34 AM   #10
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen Gillespie
In fact, if [Bridge] offered offline "browsing," it wouldn't be that much different in capabilities for most of use from Portfolio (standard, not server version), and would have a few extras that Portfolio doesn't have, assuming the user uses the whole Suite.
Does Bridge use a database? If not, it cannot offer offline browsing, cause you need some kind of database for that.

So far, I still like the freeware XnView for browsing and it has at least some Bridge-like capabilities, including a nice dialog for adding ICPT meta data - in batches if needed - and storing a set of such data for later reuse. And it digs an incredible number of image formats, which is really nice if your "assets" include such things as icons and vector clipart.

But you remind me that I still have an (old) free copy of Portfolio lying around which I should have a look at. What does it miss that Bridge has?

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote