DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 02-02-2006, 08:21 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default SeaMonkey 1.0 released

The direct descendent of the Mozilla suite, SeaMonkey, was recently released for all platforms by Mozilla.org. (It is identified as version 1.0 but comes up with a welcome page to beta testers.)

It shares Firefox code for the browser, but, like Mozilla and Netscape, also includes e-mail and news readers and a WYSIWYG web page editor. The Mozilla DOM inspector and some Javascript debugger tools are included with the browser.

I have just begun to try it out; so far, so good. (Not interested, really, in having all its functions, although the news reader might be useful.)

Old 02-02-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
Kelvyn
Staff

This was released at the same time as Firefox 1.5.0.1 - I've already upgraded.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
This was released at the same time as Firefox 1.5.0.1 - I've already upgraded.
Ah, well, color me late out of the gate! <g>

And I didn’t realize there had been a jump-up in Firefox, either. Sigh.

Do you use the Mozilla/SeaMonkey sort of browser, with all the extra functions?

Old 02-02-2006, 10:03 AM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
The direct descendent of the Mozilla suite, SeaMonkey, was recently released for all platforms by Mozilla.org. (It is identified as version 1.0 but comes up with a welcome page to beta testers.)

It shares Firefox code for the browser...
Now this puzzles me:
Quote:
Firefox and ThunderbirdHave a New Home
Looking for Firefox or Thunderbird? You'll find them and a whole lot more at Mozilla.com
Mozilla DOT COM? Are they planning to charge money for them now?

Also on the Mozilla page there's no reference to SeaMonkey - so is that really its successor, or merely yet another offspring? So far, as far as I know, Mozilla used to have the latest Gecko code, with Firefox lagging (a bit) behind. Anyway, I'm using Mozilla as a browser only, simply because it has more complete implementation of HTML than Firefox has, which is therefore still in the "test suite", not fit for daily use (and, in fact, rarely used at all). So I wonder how SeaMonkey relates, as a browser, to Mozilla? If it shares Firefox code, as opposed to Mozilla code, I'm not hopeful! And then in the release notes I also read If another Mozilla is installed:
Quote:
If you have a previous version of Mozilla installed

Before installing a new version of Mozilla, you should uninstall your previous version first.
What?!? I used to be able to have any number of versions of Mozilla on a system. Now I should uninstall all of those? No way!
(Yes, that's a Mozilla page, not a SeaMonkey page, but that' s what the SeaMonkey release notes page links to!)

I don't see anything about how SeaMonkey relates to Mozilla, exactly - apart from a sentence on the What's New page stating "These changes are relative to Mozilla 1.8b1.". What, exactly, do we have here, and why, exactly, would I be supposed to uninstall my older versions (plural!) of Mozilla? CONFUSED!

I'm not going to uninstall any Mozilla version just yet!

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:52 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
I used to be able to have any number of versions of Mozilla on a system. Now I should uninstall all of those? No way!
I neglected to check the release notes and simply installed SeaMonkey. But when I followed your link to the notes, I did find this after the installation instructions (way down the page):
You can keep multiple versions of Mozilla in your computer by installing them in different directories. Note, however, you can only run one Mozilla version at a time.
I doubt the Mac OS will confuse the two apps (though they are in the same directory) because of the Unix approach to naming. And I do have both Firefox (though not Mozilla) and SeaMonkey open at the same time. Do you suppose my system will go down in flames? <g>

Quote:
I don't see anything about how SeaMonkey relates to Mozilla, exactly.
Me neither, now. But I swear I saw it somewhere while reading this morning. It is confusing. I was surprised to find beta instructions after installing. With luck, they will straighten it out soon.

Have no idea what’s going on with Mozilla.com (vs .org).

Old 02-02-2006, 02:58 PM   #6
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Do you use the Mozilla/SeaMonkey sort of browser, with all the extra functions?
No I don't. Firefox and Thunderbird do a good job. Mozilla seems to be getting a bit bloated now. I had read in one of the MozDev forums a few months ago that Seamonkey was being toted as the Moz successor, but I didn't pay much attention to it.

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Old 02-02-2006, 03:00 PM   #7
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
That was a planned change to coincide with the release of Firefox 1.5 - I don't think it has anything to do with profit.

Old 02-02-2006, 03:21 PM   #8
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
That was a planned change to coincide with the release of Firefox 1.5 - I don't think it has anything to do with profit.
Then why?

Old 02-02-2006, 03:28 PM   #9
iamback

Quote:
I neglected to check the release notes and simply installed SeaMonkey. But when I followed your link to the notes, I did find this after the installation instructions (way down the page):
You can keep multiple versions of Mozilla in your computer by installing them in different directories. Note, however, you can only run one Mozilla version at a time.
That's how it used to be - I can't imagine why they'd suddenly also say you need to uninstall first.

Quote:
It's a confusing move, at least without any explanation (that I can find) of the reasons for it... .org sends a message, .com sends a totally different message - one I hope is unintended!

Old 02-03-2006, 01:00 AM   #10
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Then why?
My understanding at the time was that the .org domain was to be the main developers site and .com was for "product" downloads and user support (Joe Public remembers .com urls better than .org). I just checked and the developer links on .com lead to the .org site.

Added: in case anyone has not caught up with the background to the Seamonkey 1 release I think this "Transition Plan" may help.