DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 02-02-2006, 12:46 AM   #1
Richard Waller

Default A neat low cost design

www.mdpl.co.uk is a low cost site I designed some time ago, and in truth, I had forgotton. Looking at it today it still looks fine to me.

A recent prospect came to me and wants one of those sites that says in large letters they have made a million pounds in just three months, and they say very strongly that success lies in having a very very long swodge of text without an index and you have to keep reading all the words before you get to the punchline that says all you have to do is send $50 and you will receive all the tools necessary etc.

This latter technique is against my religion and I declined to help them. Apart from my fee being about 12-times the fee they were paying the spam artist.

Last edited by annc; 02-02-2006 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Fixed error in link.
Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:33 AM   #2
dthomsen8

Default DOCTYPE Way Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Waller
www.mdpl.co.uk is a low cost site I designed some time ago, and in truth, I had forgotton. Looking at it today it still looks fine to me.

A recent prospect came to me and wants one of those sites that says in large letters they have made a million pounds in just three months, and they say very strongly that success lies in having a very very long swodge of text without an index and you have to keep reading all the words before you get to the punchline that says all you have to do is send $50 and you will receive all the tools necessary etc.

This latter technique is against my religion and I declined to help them. Apart from my fee being about 12-times the fee they were paying the spam artist.
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 3.0//EN" "html.dtd">
is the DOCTYPE on this site. I thought I was way behind on HTML 4.01 Transistional. The design is simple but it still looks good.

Last edited by dthomsen8; 02-02-2006 at 06:33 AM. Reason: typo
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:27 AM   #3
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Waller

I cannot pretend to know how this particular approach translates to an electronic presentation, but in print it does seem to work, capturing eyeballs, for that kind of "business." I have my doubts that those who would read their message in print would be willing to do so on a computer screen.

For several reasons I can think of I don't blame you for declining. <g>