DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 02-01-2006, 04:50 PM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Dreamweaver MX 2004 file browser?

s there such a feature as a Dreamweaver MX 2004 File Browser?

I am taking a class in Dreamweaver, using a book "Macromedia Dreamweaver MX H-O-T" (H-O-T is Hands On Training) by Garo Green and Abigail Rudner. On page 71, an exercise using the "file browser" begins. On page 72, there is an illustration of how to get to the file browser. I attach a part of this illustration. My version of DW does not seem to have this. I attach my version number of DW, and the File panel.

I cannot do my homework assignment without this elusive file browser. Is there such a thing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hw05e.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	362   Click image for larger version

Name:	hw05v.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	363   Click image for larger version

Name:	hw05b.gif
Views:	115
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	364  

Last edited by dthomsen8; 02-01-2006 at 04:55 PM. Reason: typo
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:46 PM   #2
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)

David,

There's the Files panel group. In my setup, it displays on the right. There should be a tab for it.

Old 02-02-2006, 01:07 AM   #3
Kelvyn
Staff

David

If you have set DW up to use "Coders" traditional (Homesite) layout then the file browser is on the left, tabbed as Files. If you set DW up in "Designer" layout then it is on the right.

Whichever way it is set up, hitting F8 opens the file browser. I seem to remember that you do have to have a local project defined to be able to see anything in that window.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:05 AM   #4
dthomsen8

Default Files not on the site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
If you have set DW up to use "Coders" traditional (Homesite) layout then the file browser is on the left, tabbed as Files. If you set DW up in "Designer" layout then it is on the right.

Whichever way it is set up, hitting F8 opens the file browser. I seem to remember that you do have to have a local project defined to be able to see anything in that window.
Kelvyn,

Oh, I am not making myself clear. Both here and in another forum, I get the same answers about F8 and the Files panel. Those answers are exactly right, but they do not answer for me the difference beween what the book shows, an icon to look at the Desktop and elsewhere on the hard drive, and my own Dreamweaver, with no such icon and no apparent way to get one.

Look at the first attachment in my initial posting in this thread. See the icon labeled Desktop, and my own inserted message that I don't have one? See my own Files panel on the right, and no Desktop icon in there?

Now I can go to the pull-down window and change from the current local files to elsewhere on the hard drive, but then I don't have those local files and file folders to use. I have one file panel, pointing to one folder or set of folders, not two file panels, pointing to the local site and to elsewhere on the hard drive.

In essence, what the textbook is describing is the same as having two Windows Explorer windows, one showing the desktop, and one showing the local files for a particular web site, at the same time. With that, files or file folders can be moved or copied from one window to the other. As far as I can discover, DW MX 2004 does not provide that capability.

If I ramble on too long, it is because I see that I have been unclear before, so I am saying it in different ways more than once.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:34 AM   #5
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
If I ramble on too long, it is because I see that I have been unclear before, so I am saying it in different ways more than once.
That's OK.

All you need to do is to click in the files dropdown box at the top of the Files display windw (just under the files tab). Then scroll it to the top and you will see the desktop listed. Select it (or C and you have the full file browser.

Added: Just found out if you type C immediately followed by a colon you get a smiley ........

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Old 02-02-2006, 09:29 AM   #6
dthomsen8

Default DW file browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
All you need to do is to click in the files dropdown box at the top of the Files display windw (just under the files tab). Then scroll it to the top and you will see the desktop listed. Select it (or C and you have the full file browser.
Yes, I saw that early on. The problem is that the book expects me to copy a folder from the Desktop into the current web site being created. Since these are two widely separated areas of the file browser, I doubt the practicality of doing such a thing, especially since I can easily do the same task with Windows Explorer, with more assurance that I am doing the right thing.

When copying files or folders with Windows techniques, I generally expect to see both the source and the target at the same time. Is this an unreasonable expectation?

Anyway, I am turning in the resulting homework page this afternoon.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:37 AM   #7
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
Since these are two widely separated areas of the file browser, I doubt the practicality of doing such a thing,
Oh, it does work as the window scrolls as you run the mouse over the bottom of the window. But as you say, easier to do with Explorer.