DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 01-31-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
Howard White

Default InDesign Leaders driving me nuts

I must be losing my mind; I can't seem to fathom the InDesign instructions for simple tab leaders:

beets........$499
rutabagas.....$2

The on-line help doesn't seem to disclose all (particularly the meaning of the little triangles just above the ruler in the Tabs section of Paraghrph styles.) Where do I place the tab(s) for the above example, and what kind of tabs?

This ought to be elementary, but eludes me.

HW
Howard White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:25 PM   #2
Shane Stanley
Staff

You want a right tab (thrid mini-icon from left), then click in the ruler where you want the tab, then type what leader you want in the Leader box.

Shane
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 01:31 PM   #3
Clark

Howard,

In paragraph styles, go to tabs, select the decimal tab symbol (furthest to the right of the little tab symbols) then click on the ruler where you want the right of the values to end (or you can also enter a value for X).
In the box labeled leader, enter the leader you want to use (period from your example). Apply the paragraph to all of the lines you want to have leaders and align right. Your values will align right even without a decimal point.

If you don't want to change/create a paragraph style, select the paragraph(s) you want, open the tab window and do the above.

BTW, the little triangles are the paragraph indent and first line indent/outdent (if you mean the ones just above the 0 when no format is applied). If you mean the other little ones with the tails, they are (left to right) Left, Center, Right, Decimal.

HTH,

Clark
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:45 PM   #4
Howard White

Well, I either want a right tab or a decimal tab.... but still not working for me.

Why are tabs really required at all? In the good old days, you could simply enter something like:

beets[IL]$499

in a justified paragraph, and [IL] (insert leader) would take care of it.

HW
Old 01-31-2006, 02:48 PM   #5
Clark

Well in the really old days we would simply use the space bar - oh I've still got co-workers doing that!
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:22 AM   #6
Howard White

Thanks. You were right; I was not paying attention. I have now successfully gotten what I need.

But -- and I guess it's inherent in the binding of leaders to tabs -- I don't like it that if you change the width of your text box, the style has to be redone. The simpler way would be, as I suggested earlier, something like a "beets[Insert Leader]$2.95" entry that would adjust to changing measure. This sort of command is implemented in old-timey systems like Atex, as well as in old-timey general-purpose markup languages like "ASPIC." (Anyone beside me remember what that is --UK readers, especially?)

I have also been forced to revisit the matter of "inherited" styling, which I never really paid attention to. The leader matter in question originated in another document and was placed in a new one using cut and paste. So it more or less invisibly retained the original font, size, etc. (The little + in the style name is the clue, but I didn't really know what to do about it. Now I do.)

I should say that I have been "using" InDesign since before its initial release (and still have a pre-release with the 'K2' splash screen -- K2 was the development code name.) But I've never had any instruction, mostly just, as now, blundering through and somehow getting the desired results. There are easier ways, and I'm laboring to find them.

Cheers,

HW
Old 02-02-2006, 07:31 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard White
In the good old days, you could simply enter something like:

beets[IL]$499

in a justified paragraph, and [IL] (insert leader) would take care of it.
Yeah, but would it align the dots if you wanted, let you space them out a bit, or reduce the type size? I don’t remember if InDesign does those things, and am too lazy right now to check.

(In PageMaker you could insert a fixed space of smaller type size before the leaders to get lighter ones.)

Hope you’re getting a few bushels of beets at that price!

Old 02-02-2006, 07:39 AM   #8
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks. You were right; I was not paying attention. I have now successfully gotten what I need.

But -- and I guess it's inherent in the binding of leaders to tabs -- I don't like it that if you change the width of your text box, the style has to be redone. The simpler way would be, as I suggested earlier, something like a "beets[Insert Leader]$2.95" entry that would adjust to changing measure. This sort of command is implemented in old-timey systems like Atex, as well as in old-timey general-purpose markup languages like "ASPIC." (Anyone beside me remember what that is --UK readers, especially?)
Ick. I guess that's what I called a "flush right tab" in QuarkXPress and I'm going to miss it in InDesign. I didn't often need it, but when I needed it I really needed it.

In case you're unfamiliar with it, in QX you can set a tab any ol' where you want on a line and assign it leader specs. It didn't matter where you set it, no need to be precise, because when you then typed the tab character you typed Option-Tab (I forget what the keyboard equivalent is in the Windows version) and you have a nice, leadered tab that stayed snugged up to the right side of the text box no matter how you resized said box.

I'm bummed if there really isn't a way to do that in InDesign.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:00 AM   #9
Howard White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Yeah, but would it align the dots if you wanted, let you space them out a bit, or reduce the type size? I don’t remember if InDesign does those things, and am too lazy right now to check.

(In PageMaker you could insert a fixed space of smaller type size before the leaders to get lighter ones.)

Hope you’re getting a few bushels of beets at that price!
1. No.
2. Yes, you can change typography and have multiple leader chars in InDesign. [Period][Space] is one suggestion which results in better-looking leader. Dunno about alignment; too lazy to check.
3. They are really not beets. They are more like red truffles.

HW
Old 02-02-2006, 11:53 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
They are really not beets. They are more like red truffles.
That’s better. $399 ought to be good for oh, say, half an ounce! <g>