DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 01-28-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)
Default IE css hack

I finally had to resort to a hack. (Sorry, Marjolein)

My new site is getting very close to finished. I created the template today and set up all the pages even though I'm still waiting for lots of content. Well, when I removed the links for the current page, the current page ID totally changed the size of the button in IE. (Still worked perfectly in Firefox). I was able to change the CSS so it displayed correctly in IE, but it looked terrible in Firefox. So I hacked and added an IE specific ie.css.

Old 01-28-2006, 06:22 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Hmm, I'd be inclined to remove most of the big white blob to the right of Sally Baird...

Also, you need some margin to the left of the volunteer etc. check boxes. The text of the content crashes into the box.

And just for the record, I'm attaching a screen shot of what it looks like in IE 5.2.3 Mac.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sallybaird.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	343  

Old 01-28-2006, 06:30 PM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

You might consider adding a circle around the circular picture. The white bits around the edges now make it look like a mistake. Drawing a thin circle will clean that up.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:46 PM   #4
dacoyle

OK, my fault... I forgot to mention that, still, all graphics in the head including Sally's pic are place holders. I'll have final graphics by Tuesday, hopefully earlier.

Ann, I would appreciate MAC screen shots when I have the final graphics. I know it isn't working right yet; not putting any time into massaging place holders. I am worried about the pic on a MAC, though... it displays in the right place on Firefox and IE. Will be interested into seeing what happens on Mac when I have final graphics.

Old 01-28-2006, 11:14 PM   #5
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoyle
OK, my fault... I forgot to mention that, still, all graphics in the head including Sally's pic are place holders. I'll have final graphics by Tuesday, hopefully earlier.

Ann, I would appreciate MAC screen shots when I have the final graphics.
I will if I have time, Dennis. But I start a new job tomorrow, and have meetings (not related to the job) on two nights. Both meetings involve 120km round trips...

BTW, it's Mac, not MAC. The computer was named after the Macintosh apple, so Mac is not an acronym.

Old 01-29-2006, 01:14 AM   #6
iamback

Quote:
I finally had to resort to a hack. (Sorry, Marjolein)
I hate hacks! But you know that, of course.

Quote:
My new site is getting very close to finished. I created the template today and set up all the pages even though I'm still waiting for lots of content. Well, when I removed the links for the current page, the current page ID totally changed the size of the button in IE. (Still worked perfectly in Firefox). I was able to change the CSS so it displayed correctly in IE, but it looked terrible in Firefox. So I hacked and added an IE specific ie.css.
Unfortunately I still see problems with IE5.01/Win2k - maybe you did an IE6-specific hack? (that's the problem with hacks...). See first attachment: not only are the "buttons" much wider than on Moz 1.7, but the button row is overlaid by the circular image, so part of one is obscured - but of course a whole button could end up being obscured depending on user's font size and screen width (one improvement here: the link is live now, while before it wasn't even clickable in this situation); but in Moz 1.7 (second attachment) one button ends up partly overlaying the circular image, which still looks somewhat sloppy. Maybe you can define a right margin to leave space for that circle?

What also disturbs me somewhat is the huge amount of whitespace to the left of the body text - made worse by the fact that on the home page you have only a bullet list which also has a large white margin - this is the same in both browsers. What's more the regular body text doesn't line up with the headings - it will probably look better if you give it the same (left) padding as for the headings. See third screen shot (with some added graphics to indicate what I mean).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hsnap118.png
Views:	84
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	344   Click image for larger version

Name:	hsnap119.png
Views:	86
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	345   Click image for larger version

Name:	hsnap120.png
Views:	85
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	346  

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:29 AM   #7
jrabold

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
The computer was named after the Macintosh apple...
Indeed it was, but the name of the apple fruit is spelled McIntosh.

Old 01-29-2006, 06:36 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabold
Indeed it was, but the name of the apple fruit is spelled McIntosh.
True enough, but that still doesn’t make the computer a MAC — it is Mac, short for Macintosh. (You wouldn’t write ROB to refer to a man named Robert who used Rob as a nickname, right?)

MAC is the name of a popular cosmetics line in the U.S. — have no idea what that stands for!

Old 01-29-2006, 09:17 AM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
True enough, but that still doesn’t make the computer a MAC — it is Mac, short for Macintosh. (You wouldn’t write ROB to refer to a man named Robert who used Rob as a nickname, right?)

MAC is the name of a popular cosmetics line in the U.S. — have no idea what that stands for!
And there's the MAC-10 (as very distinct from Mac OS X)?

In that case (the former) it's an acronym for Military Armaments Corporation, thank you Google.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:04 AM   #10
dacoyle

Marjolein,

I should have all the content by tonight or tomorrow. I'll be adjusting margins and such after I know what I have to work with. But the IE5 problem is a poser... I think I need to remove at least one button, probably the Contact Us... I'll have to play with it tonight.

I hate IE, I really truly do.