DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 01-28-2006, 02:32 PM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Default Yummy FTP

KT mentioned Yummy FTP (dreadful name!) a few months ago, and I downloaded the trial. It was useful for two reasons: it would allow uploads that Fetch choked on, and it has an interface that allows you to move files, groups of files and folders around.

But I let the demo lapse without paying up, and it sat idle until last week, when I was doing a total redesign of a site, and needed to test it online on its own server before sending it live, so created a test folder to load it into. Then I wanted to just move the site to the root directory and couldn't work out how to do that in Fetch, so I downloaded a newer demo of YummyFTP. I was able to move the files and folders around easily with its interface, so the other day I paid up for it – USD25. There are other features, but I haven't tried them, just used it for some real-life stuff and found it did the job elegantly.

It's Mac-only, btw.

Old 01-28-2006, 07:24 PM   #2
Franca
Staff

Quote:
It's Mac-only, btw.
You almost had me sold.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
You almost had me sold.
Sorry! Every now and then there's something useful available for the Mac only. like BBEdit.

Old 01-30-2006, 11:03 AM   #4
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

I use WS_FTP Pro on our PCs, and Fetch on our Macs. The newest version of WS is really quite good, and you can d/l a 30-day trial. We use Fetch coz we bought licences before we found out that there were better FTP clients around but Fetch is OK once you discover how to get round its limitations! Mind you, Fetch behaves better on OSX than it ever did on 9.
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:41 AM   #5
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall
...but Fetch is OK once you discover how to get round its limitations! Mind you, Fetch behaves better on OSX than it ever did on 9.
Fetch is fine for about 90% of my FTP requirements. I manage a number of domains, so it's very handy to be able to have several Fetch ftp windows open at once.

I've got Fetch and Yummy FTP side-by-side in the dock now, and just choose the one that best matches what I want to do.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:34 AM   #6
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
Fetch is fine for about 90% of my FTP requirements. I manage a number of domains, so it's very handy to be able to have several Fetch ftp windows open at once.

I've got Fetch and Yummy FTP side-by-side in the dock now, and just choose the one that best matches what I want to do.
I just paid up for Yummy FTP. Evaluated both Fetch and Yummy, but the latter just felt smoother to use -- and the response to a tech question I emailed both companies was not only helpful, but the Yummy tech obviously new more than the Fetch tech that replied.

Why do you need two FTP apps? Does Yummy choke on a few things that Fetch doesn't? In my use so far Yummy's performance has been flawless.