DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 01-28-2006, 12:23 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default W3C CSS validator questions

Our home page here validates as valid XHTML Strict and its style sheet also validates. However, I get several warnings that I am not sure I understand:

• Line : 5 (Level : 1)
    You have no color with your background-color : body

• Line : 5 (Level : 2)
    Redefinition of background-color : body

• Line : 41 (Level : 2)
    You have some absolute and relative lengths in padding. This is not a robust style sheet.

• Line : 56 (Level : 2)
    You have some absolute and relative lengths in padding. This is not a robust style sheet.
What should I do about the first two? Is it that I am not supposed to set background-color in body in the first place? What color would I set there? Inherit? From where? Redefine?

As for the other two, I have never heard it was not robust to use different sorts of values (i.e., em and %) before. How does that weaken the stylesheet?

Old 01-28-2006, 12:37 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Dunno about the second two, but can see the problem with the first two:

You have defined the background-color twice: transparent, and white. I'd remove the transparent defintion if you want it to be white.

Having done this, you can use background-color: inherit elsewhere to avoid nasty surprises in coloured boxes etc.

The other warning come back to the one I was complaining about recently, that since they introduced the warnings, they seem to require a text colour and a background colour for everything. If you add:

color: #000;

Then the second warning will go away.

Old 01-28-2006, 12:55 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
You have defined the background-color twice: transparent, and white. I'd remove the transparent defintion if you want it to be white.

… they seem to require a text colour and a background colour for everything. If you add: color: #000; [to body] Then the second warning will go away.
Ahhh. I have been using background: transparent for body since I first started using stylesheets, based on something I read. Took it out and added color: #000000; and now both warnings have stopped.

As for the use of different value types, maybe someone else will advise on that.

Whew. Thanks.

Old 01-28-2006, 01:45 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
As for the use of different value types, maybe someone else will advise on that.
Yes, I'd be interested to hear about that, too.

Old 01-28-2006, 03:20 PM   #5
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Our home page here validates as valid XHTML Strict and its style sheet also validates. However, I get several warnings that I am not sure I understand:

• Line : 5 (Level : 1)

You have no color with your background-color : body

• Line : 5 (Level : 2)

Redefinition of background-color : body

• Line : 41 (Level : 2)

• Line : 56 (Level : 2)

What should I do about the first two? Is it that I am not supposed to set background-color in body in the first place? What color would I set there? Inherit? From where? Redefine?

As for the other two, I have never heard it was not robust to use different sorts of values (i.e., em and %) before. How does that weaken the stylesheet?

I recently encountered the exact same assessments and asked myself these questions. Finally, I decided it just doesn't matter. And, so far as I can tell, it really doesn't. There are rules and there is reality.

Regards,

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:43 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
I recently encountered the exact same assessments and asked myself these questions. Finally, I decided it just doesn't matter. And, so far as I can tell, it really doesn't. There are rules and there is reality.
I guess. It isn’t that I aspire to perfection or anything like it (far be it!), but I would like to understand the messages!

Old 01-28-2006, 11:26 PM   #7
Ian Petersen
Staff

Quote:
You have no color with your background-color
It's generally regarded as good form to define both foreground and background colours so as to avoid any mishaps if the stylesheet gets cascaded with another stylesheet that redefines one or the other colours making the text invisible.
Quote:
You have some absolute and relative lengths in padding.
Bad things can happen if you mix pixels and percentages on the same object in the same direction. They won't scale uniformly in most browsers.

Old 01-29-2006, 01:24 AM   #8
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
These are warnings - if they were about rules, they would be reported as errors. The warnings usually indicate potential problems with scaling (mixing units can cause problems there, or cause totally different layout in different browsers) or with accessibility (not defining both foreground and background color can lead to illegible text). Both of those problems are very much part of reality - but of course you you are free to ignore that bit of reality.

For a forum about desktop publishing and web development it would be wise not to ignore such warnings, which is why we have this thread!

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 05:31 AM   #9
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
These are warnings - if they were about rules, they would be reported as errors. The warnings usually indicate potential problems with scaling (mixing units can cause problems there, or cause totally different layout in different browsers) or with accessibility (not defining both foreground and background color can lead to illegible text). Both of those problems are very much part of reality - but of course you you are free to ignore that bit of reality.

For a forum about desktop publishing and web development it would be wise not to ignore such warnings, which is why we have this thread!
I've gotten away quite nicely with ignoring this part of what is called reality, (the rules on the warnings, that is) and expressing that point of view is why I participated in the thread. Wisdom is a rather relative concept, I guess.

Regards,

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 07:23 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
The warnings usually indicate potential problems with scaling (mixing units can cause problems there, or cause totally different layout in different browsers) …
I wish I could understand that. I often use ems for vertical spacing (distance from top of the window or below the logo, etc. to the text) and % for major horizontal units (outer margins, element widths, gutters between elements).

I have been scratching my head about how that could cause a scaling problem, and while anything may look different from one browser to another, I haven’t seen anything that could be attributed to that particular approach.

Perhaps I am too inexperienced! Once I have seen it all, then …