DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Photography

Old 01-19-2006, 03:43 PM   #21
Cristen Gillespie

>> Additionally, you really don't need to think of all keywords all at once; when viewing a collection, you can always add new ones that become relevant.

True, although given my track record, it doesn't happen as often as it should. A truly useful "Master List" has so far eluded me, primarily because I lose patience after a bit.

>> True. But I will store as much as possible in metadata (keywords and other fields) embedded in the images, because that will always travel with the image, wherever it's stored. Even if you change the file name, what's in the image stays there.

I see. Yes, you could, theoretically, change the filename, at least if you haven't yet archived it. So you're right that it's probably better to attach keywords stored with the files to the files from the outset.

>> part of EXIF data but it seems often lost in editing because it's not "quite standard".

Oh, got it. I get lost in the terminology easily.

>> All that doesn't sound like "primary" archiving, but something you might do with a selected set of already-edited (derived) images?

Yes. "Primary archiving" will be physical for the saved slides/negs, and the wastebasket<G> But I guess I'm using buckets since I try to watch for the right size to fill a DVD, then burn the material, and any leftover files (because I got carried away editing) are placed in the next "bucket."

> ThumbsPlus is pretty good at keeping track of changes, too - in fact when you start it, it will first update the current catalog with whatever changes happened to the HD since last time you used it.

The version I have of Portfolio (not now the latest, but I only got it recently), appears to make keeping track of the hard drive directories you set even easier, but I've not dealt much with it. In a much earlier version, it was quite annoying the way it worked, and lately I've been relying on Bridge for the hard drive and Portfolio for the removable disks.

>> One thing I like about ThumbsPlus us that it uses and MS Access database by default, and can use any SQL database through ODBC. That means you have a bunch of tools outside the cataloguing app, and you can always export that data, and re-import in a new program's database. (I've already verified I can open a database directly with Access and directly edit some tables - carefully, of course, but it works. ;-))

This I've not looked into with Portfolio, but obviously should. I've only recently discovered the joys of templates in PS for applying "keywords" to the IPTC data. I agree with you that the more I can squeeze into the file itself, I gather primarily using XMP?, the better chance I stand of both keeping and retrieving the data I want over the long term.

That, of course, is apart from naming my archived image DVDs according to basic subject matter so my family can 'retrieve' the data once I'm gone. Trying to do this so my files are useful to me AND to people who don't use computers or any sophisticated catalogers/browsers is always interesting. Originally I was set up well enough for myself, but I didn't think that would have any useful longevity.

Old 01-19-2006, 03:55 PM   #22
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg
I see a few things that you'd want to look for in a database or other utility:

- The ability to browse the images and add keywords/EXIF/IPIC data quickly; BreezeBrowser allows this but I imagine most decent image browsers do the same.

- The ability to set global bits of data (photographer name, "shoot" name, etc) and apply to whole batches of images at once, so you don't need apply the same data to each individual image in a batch.

- The ability to extract EXIF/IPIC data from new images and enter it in the database automatically. Why do all that work twice?

- And a very nice database addition would be the ability to create "ready to burn" folders of images such that no folder contains more images than will fit on the target media you specify (CD, DVD, etc). Better yet if it can do the burning itself and set the media label as it does, then record that info in the database.
Bridge lets you browse and add keywords, plus a great deal of other metadata, but it doesn't allow changing the EXIF data. I can't change anything under File Properties, either, so I have to hope it's getting all that right. I use templates now (my new fling with asset management<G>), to add a lot of info that is relevant to the image, or a batch of images. There's an awful lot of stuff that can be added to IPTC Core, though much of it especially useful if you work with others, passing the file along.

I'd really like those "ready to burn" folders. I believe Nero has ways to manage a database of filenames, but I haven't explored how that works, and I fear getting too many databases going at once. Preferably I'll figure it all out with just one.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:25 PM   #23
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Speaking of Porfolio:

http://www.portfoliofaq.com/

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:15 AM   #24
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg
Speaking of Porfolio:

http://www.portfoliofaq.com/
Just bookmarked it. It ought to make more sense than the online PDF from Extensis, though at least that tells me something can be done.

I'm planning to upgrade to the latest version real soon now. I waited forever, it seems, for the last version to support my camera's RAW format, that I don't feel I've gotten my money's worth out of it before the new version came out. Wish all these companies would slow down a bit, but I think we've all mentioned that before.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:50 PM   #25
fraser.crozier

The missing word in all of this is Taxonomy. You all speak of a logical storage system that contains some word or words that speak of a directory location. If I was in a position where I needed to recall something from somewhere, how would I do it?

The logic of taxonomy dictates that intelligence travels along many roads, therefore the metadata applied means files can be pooled, rather than segregated. This means the "backend" database takes care of the indexing of the metadata, hence the need for a system that is akin to SQL architecture, so that the appropriate intelligence can be referenced and searched quickly and efficiently.
fraser.crozier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:40 PM   #26
terrie
Staff

Quote:
fraser: The logic of taxonomy dictates that intelligence travels along many roads, therefore the metadata applied means files can be pooled, rather than segregated.
First...welcome to the forum...'-}}

I'm in the midst of reading The DAM Book by Peter Krogh and while I've not finished reading it, I believe this is the thrust of his approach but I have some concerns that it might not work for me because he's set up his sytems with a server that contains all of his images (making them instantly available via some sort of keyword search) which is not something I'm going to be able to do as that is not something that works for my particular budget.

So I'm waiting on passing judgement on the book until I get further into it to see how he combines the use of keywords/metadata with storage option so that one can actually find what one might be looking for...

I hope to have some answers for myself in the next week or so when I finish the book and try and apply what I find useful (for me) in his approach.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote