DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing β€” in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 01-18-2006, 08:55 PM   #1
Stan Brandt

Default How to move fonts to new computer

I finally am upgrading from Windows 98 to XP. I have a few hundred fonts to move to the new XP machine -- can I simply copy them to the new fonts folder, or do I have to follow some kind of installation process? (I'll be using MS-Publisher 2003).

Thanks in advance!

--Stan Brandt
Stan Brandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:06 AM   #2
marlene
Staff

Are these Postscript or TrueType fonts? Or some of both?

Do you use font management software? ATM?

When I moved from an older OS to XP, I just copied the font files to the new machine and let Font Navigator "find" them and add them to its catalog.

But I'm sure someone here will know how to move fonts if you're not using a font manager.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:48 AM   #3
Michael Rowley

Marlene:

'how to move fonts if you're not using a font manager'

I'm pretty sure that Windows XP can find any fonts on the hard disk and instal them in its font folder; the only reason for having a font manager is to try to stop it doing that.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:37 AM   #4
LoisWakeman
Staff

Stan, on the new machine, find the Windows > Fonts folder, and the file menu in Explorer then has a new menu item "Install fonts" where you can borwse for the ones you copied off the old machine.

You can just copy them there and that usually works too.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:48 PM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

What I'd suggest:

Copy all of the fonts from your Fonts folder on the old computer to a new folder on the new computer.

You can then do as Lois suggests and install them to the Fonts folder on the new computer. Let Windows copy the fonts to the Fonts folder if it asks.

Why put them in a separate folder first? In case you decide you want to remove/delete a font or twenty, you don't have to remember to back them up first. Just blitz from the Fonts folder; you've already got backup in that spare original directory.

If you use Type1/Postscript fonts, there may be a bit of add'l juggling required to keep Windows happy. You no longer need ATM software in order to use these fonts, though. If you have any of them, let us know.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:50 PM   #6
marlene
Staff

Quote:
the only reason for having a font manager is to try to stop it doing that.
I wish I could figure out how leave XP out of the equation when managing my fonts!

I've tried moving TT fonts out of the XP fonts folder into a separate "TT fonts" folder, but some of 'em -- prolly the system fonts -- don't wanna move.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to get the TT version of Courier uninstalled so I could use my PS version, and it was hopeless. I assume XP is protecting the TT version from me and FontNav.

If I even peek into the XP fonts folder, a whole bunch of useless TT fonts install themselves again, and I have to go through them in FontNav and uninstall them. I did manage to move a bunch of them out of the XP fonts folder, but have not poked my nose into that folder again. Don't want to stir up the hornet's nest of extraneous fonts.

I find XP font management inscrutable but maybe I'm just not trying ...

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:35 AM   #7
Michael Rowley

Marlene:

'some of 'em -- prolly the system fonts -- don't wanna move'

There are two sets on fonts you can't move from the Windows XP fonts file: the system fonts, plus Times New Roman & Arial & one or two others that ATM Deluxe didn't name (because it wasn't updated after Windows 2000); and the fonts that some applications insist on (FrameMaker can't do without a few). But apart from that, TT fonts tend to creep back, no matter how often they're removed from the official Windows fonts file. It's infuriating, isn't it? A drastic solution is to use only OFT fonts or Type 1 fonts and refuse to distribute documents in Word (which won't embed OFT fonts, even though they're converted to TTF fonts).

Old 01-21-2006, 08:14 PM   #8
Stan Brandt

Steve, thanks to you and Lois for your valuable advice!

--Stan Brandt
Stan Brandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:12 AM   #9
dthomsen8

Default Microsoft Knows Better?

Marlene,

I have a font manager on my Win98SE computer, but not on the WinXP Pro computer. In both cases, I have far too many fonts, and little control. Your experience is discouraging, though.

Perhaps it is just another case where Microsoft Knows Better. It just seems to be part of their philosophy to insist on their own way, and they control the operating system, making it hard to defeat them. It makes sense that the OS requires certain fonts in the system fonts folder, but beyond that, why not allow the user to get rid of unwanted fonts, either permanently or just uninstalled until actually needed?

Peeking into the fonts folder with Windows Explorer is a demonstration of their control, no ability to work with it as is possible in user created folders.

If the people in this forum don't know how to control fonts, I don't know who would, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene
I wish I could figure out how leave XP out of the equation when managing my fonts!

I've tried moving TT fonts out of the XP fonts folder into a separate "TT fonts" folder, but some of 'em -- prolly the system fonts -- don't wanna move.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to get the TT version of Courier uninstalled so I could use my PS version, and it was hopeless. I assume XP is protecting the TT version from me and FontNav.

If I even peek into the XP fonts folder, a whole bunch of useless TT fonts install themselves again, and I have to go through them in FontNav and uninstall them. I did manage to move a bunch of them out of the XP fonts folder, but have not poked my nose into that folder again. Don't want to stir up the hornet's nest of extraneous fonts.

I find XP font management inscrutable but maybe I'm just not trying ...

mxh
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 12:32 PM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Out of curiosity, which fonts have you tried to remove and been prevented? Given time, I might could have a go at it here with one of the Sacrificial Lambs.

"Microsoft knows better?" Well, yes, they do know better than the average user - no, let's make that all but the most sophisticated users -- what fonts the system relies on (at least to the extent that some parts of the GUI might start to look right pie-eyed if the font were removed).

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote