DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 01-16-2006, 01:39 PM   #1
marlene
Staff

Default CorelDraw 12

Who's got CorelDraw 12? I am seriously considering upgrading (I'm using CorelDraw 9 now), partly because I occasionally get CD12 files, but mainly to get FontNavigator version 5, which I understand handles OpenType fonts.

(I'm using FontNav 3 now, which does NOT handle OT.)

Anyway, I'm trying to decide whether to buy the upgrade version of CD12 (cheaper) or the full version. From the description on the Corel web site, it sounds like the upgrade version (retail box) does NOT include printed manuals (which I can live without) or a printed clip art catalog (which I do want).

If anyone's got CD12, did you get the full version or upgrade, and did it include the printed manual and/or clip art catalog?

I did e-mail Corel and ask if the upgrade version included printed manual(s) and clip art catalog, and got this response:

"you will get all the documentation in the box"

So either the person who responded is wrong, didn't understand my question, or the Corel web site is wrong.

I suppose I could call, but thought maybe someone here already knows the truth.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:38 PM   #2
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

I bought v12 on eBay when I was totally broke a few months back. When I got it, I found it was the education version and came with diddly squat! Now I can afford to buy the kosher upgrade and will place the order tomorrow (I run a company, so I can't really get away with using the ed version any longer!).

If I haven't come back to you in a few days, send me a PM and shout at me!
xx
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:24 PM   #3
marlene
Staff

Did you already place your order?? I was just poking around on the Corel web site, and it seems that the new version (CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X3) will be shipping February 1. (Or so they say.)

So I might wait and buy the newer version (inevitable bugs and all), or see if the price drops further on version 12.

mxh
Old 01-17-2006, 05:20 AM   #4
Robin Springall

I had looked on the Corel UK site to see if there was anything about v13, though it's only 1 year since v12 was launched. I was about to place the order right now, but a little bird inside my head told me to come here first! Going to wait for the new version.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:48 AM   #5
marlene
Staff

There wasn't a thing on Corel's U.S. home page about the new X3 version. But when I clicked on the "Store" button, I found the info about pre-ordering X3 (with the mythical shipping date of Feb. 1).
Old 01-17-2006, 10:39 AM   #6
imatt

Well there seems to be tons o' stuff on CoreDraw X3 and Word Perfect X3 on Corel's site. Are corel superstitous? Why not CorelDraw 13? Will there be an Illustrator 13?

CorelDraw X3 seems to have some intersting features. Still more evolutionary than revoloutionary. How many 12 users will upgrade I wonder?

One noteable omision is CorelRave. And what's happened to Ventura?? Corel hardly seem to mention it these days.
imatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:59 AM   #7
Franca
Staff

Quote:
And what's happened to Ventura?? Corel hardly seem to mention it these days.
Many of us would like to know the answer to this. I am still happily using both Ventura 8 and Ventura 10 ... but Ventura's future doesn't appear in my crystal ball. Sigh.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:30 AM   #8
Franca
Staff

I only upgraded from version 9 to 12 sometime in the last year or so. I really think version 9 was excellent and saw no reason to upgrade as far as my work needs were concerned, but I don't like to get too many versions behind, either. In a post here some time back, Brian Smithson told me that version 12 was worth upgrading to. I still use version 9 most of the time, though. I'm comfortable with it, and oddly, it does a better job of importing alien eps files than version 12. At least in my experience.* So, if I were you I would hang on awhile longer and see what the reaction is to X3. I have a feeling it will be an improvement over version 12.

As for full versions vs. upgrades, unless something has changed there shouldn't be a difference in terms of what's in the box. Traditionally it's been the educational version that has shipped without documentation. But someone who has been upgrading as each version has come out would know better than I ... I generally have to be dragged kicking and screaming to a new version, hence my belated install of version 12 after skipping 10 and 11 altogether.

*There have been some eps files without headers from the Best Brands of the World site that would not open in version 12 but opened instantly in version 9.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:27 PM   #9
Robin Springall

Default Ventura

All three Ventura users in the world are happy to stay as they are, I think <g>
Old 01-17-2006, 01:31 PM   #10
Robin Springall

Draw always had difficulties importing eps files, so it would be nice if they've fixed this now. Oh, and Photoshop files with effects like drop shadows or blooms. And I wonder if text-on-a-path is still flakey? Don't get me wrong, I really like Coral's Drawers, but all software is buggy.