DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Old 01-15-2006, 03:50 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default DNG Recover Edges

DNG Recover Edges is a free tool that works with Win and Mac and recovers photo edges that digital cameras routinely remove. It works only with RAW files, which must first be converted to DNG format using a free utility from Adobe. DNG Recover Edges is authored by Thomas Knoll and offered exclusively at Luminous Landscape.

All information (including a link to the Adobe DNG tool) are available at this page: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/co...er-Edges.shtml
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:09 AM   #2
Cristen Gillespie

Thank you. It will be interesting to see if I have anything worth recovering at the edges.

Old 01-16-2006, 05:15 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen Gillespie
Thank you. It will be interesting to see if I have anything worth recovering at the edges.
Indeed, And I was wondering if the edges are removed for a good reason. If you or anyone else tests this, I'd be interested in knowing the results.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:26 AM   #4
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.
Indeed, And I was wondering if the edges are removed for a good reason. If you or anyone else tests this, I'd be interested in knowing the results.
I d'loaded it yesterday and I'm going to try it out over the next few days. I'll let you know what, if anything, I come up with. My camera may not be as ideal for this as some of the DSLRs, though.

Old 01-19-2006, 03:20 PM   #5
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.
I've tested this, and there is certainly no learning curve. Place the app icon or shortcut on your desk somewhere and drag the file onto it. It does it's thing in a second and you can look at your recovered edges.

If you can tell the difference<G> I found no deterioration in quality at the recovered edges. I also found I get next to no amount of extra image with my camera. If you have one where you take the whole picture, but the camera's software returns the "cropped" aspect ratio that you set it to, this is definitely the little app you should have. It does get you back to what you took.

I do often "crop" closely with the camera lens, but my camera viewfinder doesn't show 100% of what I'm taking. That means I'm already getting more than I took in the first place, albeit a very small amount more. But some TOL DSLRs, as I understand it, do come with 100% revealed in the viewfinder, so if you were a teensy bit too close to the edge of your subject's ear, for example, getting all your pixels might rescue the image.

But the camera maker discarding these edge pixels because they aren't good? I'm definitely not seeing that. They're as good as the ones next to them that I am getting, anyway.

Old 01-19-2006, 04:01 PM   #6
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen Gillespie
If you have one where you take the whole picture, but the camera's software returns the "cropped" aspect ratio that you set it to, this is definitely the little app you should have. It does get you back to what you took.
So, there it is.