DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 01-11-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)
Default DW8 Yes!

For anyone considering upgrading to the latest Dreamweaver, if you do XHTML with fairly advanced CSS it's worth it. DW's WYSIWYG finally works!

They also finally added Close All, a feature Homesite has had for years. Still digigng in to see what else is new...

Old 01-12-2006, 01:38 AM   #2
Kelvyn
Staff

You will find quite a lot of improvements from MX, mostly hidden away. I finally decided to upgrade to DW8 from MX2004 mainly for the further improved css support.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:50 PM   #3
dacoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
You will find quite a lot of improvements from MX, mostly hidden away. I finally decided to upgrade to DW8 from MX2004 mainly for the further improved css support.
I've found one problem, but I have a work around already. The newer commands for converting files saved from Word are weaker. The "3.0 compatible" option is gone so all the MSO style junk is still there, but a Regular Expression easily strips all the <p> tags. I was disappointed support for cleaning up Word conversions hasn't gotten any better, but I can live with it for the WYSIWYG support.

Old 01-15-2006, 01:22 AM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoyle
I was disappointed support for cleaning up Word conversions hasn't gotten any better, but I can live with it for the WYSIWYG support.
Can't you just leave the old version installed and use that when you need this functionality?

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:47 AM   #5
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
Can't you just leave the old version installed and use that when you need this functionality?
Yes, you can have multiple versions if you wish. Only masochists regularly copy anything direct from Word.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 03:25 AM   #6
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
Only masochists regularly copy anything direct from Word.
Only masochists have clients that send them this kind of stuff as content? <duck/>

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:49 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Only masochists have clients that send them this kind of stuff as content? <duck/>
In my experience all clients always send formatted Word files to designers (graphic or web).

Attempts to get them even just to turn off Fast Saves is generally an exercise in frustration. And most do not understand it means to save the file as plain text!

So are we masochists? Maybe so. But of necessity, short of taking up a different career! <g>

Old 01-15-2006, 01:40 PM   #8
dacoyle

Quote:
I still have version 6 installed, but I have to use Homesite and other REs anyway to strip out hard spaces and high ASCII characters, etc., so it's just one extra step. And since version 8 seems to be faster than versionj 6, not really losing any time.

Old 01-15-2006, 01:44 PM   #9
dacoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
In my experience all clients always send formatted Word files to designers (graphic or web).

Attempts to get them even just to turn off Fast Saves is generally an exercise in frustration. And most do not understand it means to save the file as plain text!

So are we masochists? Maybe so. But of necessity, short of taking up a different career! <g>
Microsoft products are the US fed government's standard, so unless it's an outside contractor doing a complex document on a Mac in Quark (we just get messy HTML for those) nearly all of my source documents are Word. And you're right, NO ONE can use Word correctly. I have one quarterly document that the client sends me an HTML friendly version for conversion. Everything else is just a big ol' mess. And most have too much formatting, pics, and/or tables that I can't just copy and paste to avoid the mess.

Then again, I've been doing it for over five years and can convert a Word document with my eyes closed. I was just hoping DW8 would have better support for this very common task at my office.

Old 01-15-2006, 02:07 PM   #10
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoyle
Everything else is just a big ol' mess. And most have too much formatting, pics, and/or tables that I can't just copy and paste to avoid the mess.
I get these messes for both web and print, and can tell you that especially when it comes to embedded graphics, it's much, much, much easier to convert for web than for print.