DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 01-11-2006, 01:18 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Suitcase Fusion released

Extensis has melded Suitcase to Font Reserve (or vice-versa) and has released a new product: Suitcase Fusion 1.0. It costs $100 new, $50 to upgrade from either of its components programs.

Mac only — OS X (10.3.9 or higher). Single-user only. No sign of whether there will be a Windows version.

Downloadable 30-day free trial and PDF user guide at the site.

Old 01-11-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Are you going to give it a try? I could upgrade from either product, but now am using Font Agent Pro, so will only consider jumping ship if the new thing gets glowing reviews from enough reputable sources. I'm really tired of fussing over and with font management utilities.

Old 01-13-2006, 09:31 AM   #3
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC
Are you going to give it a try? I could upgrade from either product, but now am using Font Agent Pro, so will only consider jumping ship if the new thing gets glowing reviews from enough reputable sources. I'm really tired of fussing over and with font management utilities.
I'm going to try it. On dialup, I have to schedule it for a night or weekend morning, but it does appear to have a solution for some of the things that bug me about Suitcase. Mind, the solution may be buggy, and I'm a little worried about how the demo works without screwing over my fonts now managed by Suitcase, but hey....I don't ride roller coasters. They're for weenies. The real adventurous install Demos and fools with fonts. LOL

Old 01-13-2006, 10:00 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC
I'm really tired of fussing over and with font management utilities.
You and me both! I want my ATM Deluxe back — no muss, no fuss, no bother. The darned thing just worked.

I don’t know if I will bother with StuffIt Fusion. It sounds like a stopgap project if you ask me — as my father-in-law liked to say, neither fish (i.e., Suitcase) nor foul (Font Reserve) nor good red herring!

At this point FontAgent Pro is being very naughty. If I add even a single font to the collection, it actually copies over the entire set of fonts that came with Illustrator CS that I had put in previously. Why? Beats me. Makes for a very long process of checking all the fonts (minutes and minutes), and then I have extra housecleaning to do.

Before that, Suitcase was driving me crazy as well, though I do not at this moment remember why. It was slow (and slowed down some apps), that I do remember. But I think there was an even more dire sin.

Lately I have been using stupid Font Book — drag a font in, then turn it off when finished with it. No auto-anything.

Pathetic. Of all the steps backward, font management is the most dramatic.

Old 01-13-2006, 03:02 PM   #5
Michael Rowley

KT:

I want my ATM Deluxe back

It (i.e. an ATM Deluxe replacement) will soon be demanded for Windows, now that the Windows version has been withdrawn too. Even for those that have it still, it's getting a bit long in the tooth, and of course newcomers can't get it.

Old 01-16-2006, 02:41 PM   #6
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen Gillespie
The real adventurous install Demos and fools with fonts. LOL
Especially the latter!

Old 01-16-2006, 09:12 PM   #7
Norman Hathaway

Anyone using Linotype's new offering yet?
Norman Hathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:48 AM   #8
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Hathaway
Anyone using Linotype's new offering yet?
I've been using it on the Mac Mini. I don't use fonts extensively on that machine -- it's mostly Photoshop work -- but it seems to work well. I'm thinking of installing it onto my main machine (PowerBook) this week.

I upgraded to OS10.4 on the PowerBook last week and it's proving problematic -- Airport connection keeps getting lost, Bluetooth is unreliable and various bits of software don't work the way they should. I did an archive-and-install which seemed to carry over all sorts of crud from the previous system so I'm thinking of doing a clean isntall and setting up the Linotype font manager at the same time in place of Suitcase.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:19 AM   #9
Norman Hathaway

Oh good. Thanks for that Mike.
Keep me posted- you can be the crash test dummy.

N
Norman Hathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:53 AM   #10
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
I upgraded to OS10.4 on the PowerBook last week and it's proving problematic -- Airport connection keeps getting lost, Bluetooth is unreliable and various bits of software don't work the way they should. I did an archive-and-install which seemed to carry over all sorts of crud from the previous system so I'm thinking of doing a clean isntall and setting up the Linotype font manager at the same time in place of Suitcase.
Oh, dear. I've got OS X 10.4.3 sitting here on the desk waiting to upgrade later today. I asked in Snarkish and the two replies I received seemed to indicate that it would work.