DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 01-09-2006, 07:58 AM   #1
RJ Emery

Default Index of PDF Content

Given a corpus of existing PDF files acquired from various and varied sources, how does one build an index of them? What software do I need? What are the steps involved?

FWIW, I currently have a P2 450 MHz W98 system and Acrobat Reader 5.1, but I hope to move to new hardware and Linux soon.

Brother MFC-8840DN Printer/Scanner/Fax
RJ Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:35 PM   #2
John Spragens

What kind of index do you want to have when you're done?

The full Acrobat allows you to create an index of all the PDF files in a directory that you specify. But it's not a human-readable index. It's something Acrobat uses to speed word searches across all the files in the collection.

www.enigmaterial.com
John Spragens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:00 PM   #3
RJ Emery

My hope was that I could produce an index that I could then print. However, if I could invoke the previously produced index, then search for keywords across all the PDF files in a folder or tree, that would be an acceptable compromise.

Old 01-19-2006, 05:06 AM   #4
dthomsen8

Default Good Question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ Emery
Given a corpus of existing PDF files acquired from various and varied sources, how does one build an index of them? What software do I need? What are the steps involved?
Good Question! What you are seeking is something like what Picasa2 and similar tools do for graphics. If there isn't such a tool, the idea is one for some clever programmer to develop a shareware product.

Good luck, and let us know if you find such a tool. I have a lot of PDF files, and sometimes have trouble finding the one I want.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:41 PM   #5
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ Emery
My hope was that I could produce an index that I could then print. However, if I could invoke the previously produced index, then search for keywords across all the PDF files in a folder or tree, that would be an acceptable compromise.
Many years ago, when I was working in a petroleum industry library, one of the professional organisations (Society of Exploration Geophysicists, I think) produced a series of CDs of their professional papers in PDF format, and it had a searchable index. But the whole thing was encapsulated, so I have no idea what software they used.

The searchable index was presented as an application.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:37 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Acrobat can index a PDF file or a whole folder full of them. The index it produces isn't human-readable nor can the information be extracted to print. In other words, it's nothing like a typical book index.

In use, a PDF is set to "attach" a particular index file when it opens. You can then do searches against the index.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:14 AM   #7
RJ Emery

Steve,

Could you elaborate? I have to open a PDF first before I can see an index or search other PDFs in the folder?

Adobe tells me Acrobat Capture 3.0 Personal Edition should do what I seek, which is to produce an index of PDFs in a folder that I could then search for keywords, opening only those PDFs that match the search.

I had hoped to produce a printable index, yes, something like at the end of a book, but that apparently is not possible.

Last edited by RJ Emery; 01-20-2006 at 05:26 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:57 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>>Could you elaborate? I have to open a PDF first before I can see an index or search other PDFs in the folder?

Yes - you need to open a PDF that's got an "attached" index, in order to use the index. You can't *see* the index at all. The search feature in Acrobat/Reader uses it.

>>Adobe tells me Acrobat Capture 3.0 Personal Edition should do what I seek, which is to produce an index of PDFs in a folder that I could then search for keywords, opening only those PDFs that match the search.

That's how it works, yes.

>>I had hoped to produce a printable index, yes, something like at the end of a book, but that apparently is not possible.

Not with Acrobat, no.

I wish I knew a good source to suggest so you could download a PDF or set of them with index files included so you could try it out before spending money on add'l software. Does anyone have any ideas on that score?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 01-20-2006, 09:20 PM   #9
RJ Emery

Steve,

Let me understand the procedure. If I have a collection of PDF files, all presumably without attached index files, I would invoke Acrobat Capture and made index files for each of my PDFs, attaching each index to the PDF itself. That done, I could then open any of the PDFs, and from there search for keywords in any of the PDFs within my collection. Does that describe the process?

Old 01-21-2006, 12:42 PM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>Let me understand the procedure. If I have a collection of PDF files, all presumably without attached index files, I would invoke Acrobat Capture and made index files for each of my PDFs, attaching each index to the PDF itself.

No, it's actually simpler. Assuming Capture works roughly the same as the older cataloguing procedures built into acrobat, you'd point it at a whole folder full of PDFs and it would create one index for the lot of them.

Any one of the PDFs (or all of them) could then be set to attach your newly created index automatically when it opens. Once the index is attached during a given Acrobat/Reader session, it stays attached, even though you open other files.

>>That done, I could then open any of the PDFs, and from there search for keywords in any of the PDFs within my collection. Does that describe the process?

With amendments as above, yes. And one more: you can do full text searches. You're not limited to keywords. Unlike the kind of indices I think you were thinking of, you don't need to create lists of terms to be indexed.

Hmm. With Acrobat, you may be able to take an existing index created in some applications (Word, for example) and have it become a printable index as part of the PDF you make from the Word doc AND have the index entries clickable (to take you to the refrenced page). I've never done that, so I'm not sure.

www.pptools.com
and stuff