DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 01-06-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
gary

Default Cheap web space

I just ran across http://memebot.com/ offering free (30MB space, 100MB/mo) web hosting for small, low usage web sites.

I doubt that it will be much use for most of us here due to the limitations, but it may be useful to pass along for newbies.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:12 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary
I just ran across http://memebot.com/ offering free (30MB space, 100MB/mo) web hosting for small, low usage web sites.

I doubt that it will be much use for most of us here due to the limitations, but it may be useful to pass along for newbies.
Thanks, Gary. I have some people asking about free web hosting in another forum I look after, so I'll pass that on. I like their tone, actually.

Old 01-06-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
Kelvyn
Staff

Looks like a strange server setup. Probably OK for ma&pa type sites, though, who won't worry about php etc.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:34 PM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
Thanks, Gary. I have some people asking about free web hosting in another forum I look after, so I'll pass that on. I like their tone, actually.
It does sound nice - they even support PHP (as long as it's CGI) and have other "dynamic" goodies as well, like SMX (instead of SSI - and they actually host http://smxlang.org/). Pre-installed Wiki (which?) and weblog, too. That's quite an offer for free!

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 05:40 PM   #5
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
It does sound nice - they even support PHP (as long as it's CGI) and have other "dynamic" goodies as well, like SMX (instead of SSI - and they actually host http://smxlang.org/). Pre-installed Wiki (which?) and weblog, too. That's quite an offer for free!
And to be able to have yourname.com as well, instead o yourname.theirname.com.

Old 01-07-2006, 12:27 AM   #6
Richard Waller

My advice is not to go this way. I set up one site with a server run by a very competent sounding guy who came to sell their services to me, and they suddenly disappeared. Just like that. And though the webspace had been taken over by someone else the new managers did not warn me that the annual fee had expired. It really took me quite a time to sort out the mess.

Another larger company but still local, Netlink was taken over by Via Networks, and in turn taken over by Clara Net. Each has a different way of working.

So I say go for a larger more reputable company even if it does cost a bit more. But then BT now seems to be Yahoo/BT so you cannot win.

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 05:18 AM   #7
dthomsen8

Default Learning/Test Web Sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary

Some of us (me!) do learning web sites, where we publish to a web hosting company for the sake of learning how it works overall. College students and others taking newbie web development courses might also find this good.

For me, spending a small sum per month is worth being on the same server as my paid clients, with exactly the same features.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote