DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 01-05-2006, 10:33 AM   #1
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.
Default Acrobat 7 Pro Win installation error

This has happened to me twice, so I thought I'd better post it:

Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional installation error with Windows XP Home

The following error might occur even if you are logged onto Windows using an administrator account:

Error 1303. The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Adobe PDF.

This is caused because the folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\ is set to Read Only.
Windows does not generally allow you to remove the read-only attribute to this folder, but you can
fix it like this:

In Windows Explorer, try to share the folder. You will probably get a message telling you
that an error occurred which prevented the share from being created, but you will find that
you can now access the folder anyway. However, the sharing attempt might have renamed the
folder to Shared Documents, so you must change it back to Documents.

Can you imagine how long it took to work this out!?
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:15 AM   #2
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall
Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional installation error with Windows XP Home

The following error might occur even if you are logged onto Windows using an administrator account:

Error 1303. The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Adobe PDF.

This is caused because the folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\ is set to Read Only.
Windows does not generally allow you to remove the read-only attribute to this folder (...)
I cannot imagine why Windows would not allow you to set the attributes on any folder (except specific system folders) at all, let alone this one, especially if you are logged on as administrator. The corresponding folder certainly isn't set to read-only on Win2000. Maybe it's a limitation of Windows XP Home? (I note you are trying to install a "professional" application on a "home" OS - are you sure you want to do that? <duck/>)

(Even if I will probably be forced to use Windows XP once I get a new computer, I would not dream of gettnig the home edition - too many limitations on that, even if this isn't one of them.)

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:57 PM   #3
Michael Rowley

Marjolein:

'I would not dream of gettnig the home edition'

I don't know if it's because I've got Windows XP Pro (a very easy upgrade from Windows 2000 Pro, but prolonged), but I haven't got a folder 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Adobe PDF', and the only folders in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents are labelled 'Dr. Watson', 'My Music', and 'Fax'. I have installed Acrobat 7 Pro though.

Old 01-05-2006, 03:00 PM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
I haven't got a folder 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Adobe PDF' (...) I have installed Acrobat 7 Pro though.
Weird... but I don't have anything Adobe except reader so I don't know where it wants its stuff.

Old 01-05-2006, 04:11 PM   #5
Michael Rowley

Marjolein:

'I don't know where it wants its stuff'

I find that I have two 'All users' files, dating from my Windows 2000 days, when I renamed my computer. The 'Adobe PDF' stuff was in the other one. XP is actually less complex than 2000, but all the old folders are left undisturbed.

Old 01-06-2006, 12:56 AM   #6
iamback

Quote:
I find that I have two 'All users' files, dating from my Windows 2000 days, when I renamed my computer. The 'Adobe PDF' stuff was in the other one. XP is actually less complex than 2000, but all the old folders are left undisturbed.
I don't find Win2000 complex at all - so that makes me wonder what I'll miss in XP. But an upgrade install, like you did, would probably have a different folder structure than a clean install (and other differenecs as well).

<grumble>I'm not exactly looking forward to XP, but I need a new computer sooner than Vista will be out.</grumble>

Old 01-06-2006, 07:56 AM   #7
Michael Rowley

Marjolein:

'But an upgrade install, like you did, would probably have a different folder structure than a clean install'

That is true: Windows XP goes out of its way to ensure that the settings it finds are not disturbed more than necessary. But Windows 2000 (these silly sales names conceal the fact that 2000 is NT 5, and XP is NT 5.1) made a greater distinction between the 'administrator' and a 'power user', so you got a lot of messages starting 'You not have . . .'; these messages actually made sense, but were apt to irritate the user of a stand-alone computer.

One recommendation I have for those that are new to XP: get rid of those bloody hills when the OS opens!

Old 01-06-2006, 09:39 AM   #8
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

I got two PCs with Home rather than Pro because they had to integrate into our existing simple network, basically a Windows peer-to-peer but with a server for the data files (all the programs are installed locally on each user's PC). I've never used XP Pro, and found even migrating from 98 to Home a pretty dreadful experience! I'd been told that Pro works best in a client-server network rather than peer-to-peer.
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:58 AM   #9
iamback

Quote:
One recommendation I have for those that are new to XP: get rid of those bloody hills when the OS opens!
Hills?

Old 01-06-2006, 10:30 AM   #10
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall
I'd been told that Pro works best in a client-server network rather than peer-to-peer.
Pro includes everything in Home plus a web server and the ability to connect to Windows "domains" (as opposed to Workgroups).
gary is offline   Reply With Quote