DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 12-31-2005, 01:32 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Begone!!! 2005!

I can't wait for 2006 to begin as it's got to be better than 2005!

Just to prove that 2005 can still be a pita and a half on the very last day of the year, my truck battery died today while I was at the barn--the truck had acted oddly when I tried to start it this morning at home and then seemed fine.

Two saving graces were that a dead battery (with 2 years left on it supposedly) is better than any other alternative and one of the people at the barn drove to Leesburg (15mins), bought me a new battery and her better than sainted boyfriend followed her back to the barn and put it in for me and wouldn't take any money for doing it--I paid her for the battery.

Nice people is what gets me through the day...

Please...please...please let 2006 be a better year...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 02:31 PM   #2
Susie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
--I paid her for the battery.

Nice people is what gets me through the day...

Please...please...please let 2006 be a better year...

Terrie
Amen to that! In the last two weeks, I had to replace both front and back brake pads, then on Christmas day on the highway, my rear tire blew out and we barely avoided a bad accident. So now I'm much poorer, and I've replaced 3 tires.

I'm going to join in with your Please...please...please let 2006 be a better year

Old 12-31-2005, 03:05 PM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

It's the bad things that bring out the good in people and show you who your friends are! So we do need a few of them to restore our faith in human nature.

FWIW, my car still has its original battery; July 2000 was the purchase date, and I do know that the battery was new then, because the car was purpose-built for me. About 18 months ago I flattened it (the battery), and the RACQ (automobile club) man who got me started said it might last another month, but as it was four years old then, he doubted it would give me much more than another week. I do heave a sigh of relief every time I start the car now, especially if I need to be somewhere by a certain time.

We're just over 10 hours into 2006, and so far it's pretty much the same as 2005; hot, sticky, sunny (too sunny; I want rain!). But so far, no emergency helicopters flying over my house on their way to the hospital with road accident victims.

Old 12-31-2005, 03:19 PM   #4
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
We're just over 10 hours into 2006, and so far it's pretty much the same as 2005; hot, sticky, sunny (too sunny; I want rain!). But so far, no emergency helicopters flying over my house on their way to the hospital with road accident victims.
It's less than six hours to 2006 here and it's a rare thing to have helicopters or anything other than miles-high passenger jets appear in the sky overhead. You do notice the handful of times a year, though, that the medical evacuation copter is transporting someone from the county hospital 15 miles to the south up to Univ. of Iowa Hospitals. Those do go directly overhead. Guess we don't have that many highway casualties needing extra care.

Old 12-31-2005, 04:45 PM   #5
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC
It's less than six hours to 2006 here and it's a rare thing to have helicopters or anything other than miles-high passenger jets appear in the sky overhead. You do notice the handful of times a year, though, that the medical evacuation copter is transporting someone from the county hospital 15 miles to the south up to Univ. of Iowa Hospitals. Those do go directly overhead. Guess we don't have that many highway casualties needing extra care.
The localhospital is about 1km east of me, and the flight path to the helipad is right over my house. they can't easily come in from the east because there's an airstrip there.

A few months ago I was woken twice in one night by the emergency helicopter flying very low, and very slowly, over the house. A couple of days later the daily paper reported that there had been two road accidents in the area, that the injured had been taken by helicopter to that particular hospital, and that both victims had died.

When I hear it approach, my heart drops into my boots.

Old 12-31-2005, 09:34 PM   #6
Shane Stanley
Staff

Quote:
We're just over 10 hours into 2006, and so far it's pretty much the same as 2005; hot
You don't know hot -- 43ºC here yesterday (109ºF). Ouch...

Shane
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 10:23 PM   #7
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Stanley
You don't know hot -- 43ºC here yesterday (109ºF). Ouch...
That's hot! It never gets that hot here, but the humidity makes it feel as if it does. Did you hibernate in the air-conditioning?

Old 01-01-2006, 07:14 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
I can't wait for 2006 to begin as it's got to be better than 2005! … Please...please...please let 2006 be a better year...
Oh, yes! I am with you on that!

We drank two toasts last night: first to the end of wretched 2005 — which has certainly been the most miserable of my life! — and then another with high hopes for a better 2006.

Old 01-01-2006, 12:59 PM   #9
Shane Stanley
Staff

Quote:
Did you hibernate in the air-conditioning?
Much of the time. But sleeping was near impossible over night.

Shane
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 01:22 PM   #10
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Stanley
Much of the time. But sleeping was near impossible over night.
Imagine what it must have been like in Sydney last night after a 44ºC day. And bushfires north and south. Most nights here I can turn the airconditioning off and sleep with just a fan, but later in January and in February, the humidity makes the airconditioning a 24 hour necessity.