DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 12-31-2005, 12:42 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default 16-char e-mail address limit

I am setting up a new domain, and when I went to create an e-mail address for myself, got this error message:
Failed to save mailbox : The username ktinkel-abcdefghij is longer that the maximum allowed on this system (16 characters)
Has anyone else ever encountered something like this? I know of no way of minimimizing the domain name, which has 10 characters, so it has to be my name. Very limiting.

Guess this is another argument for brief domain names, if there any left!

Old 12-31-2005, 01:28 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

I don't have a clue but it sure is weird that there is that sort of limit...have you asked their tech support about it?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 01:45 PM   #3
Shane Stanley
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
I am setting up a new domain, and when I went to create an e-mail address for myself, got this error message:
Failed to save mailbox : The username ktinkel-abcdefghij is longer that the maximum allowed on this system (16 characters)
Has anyone else ever encountered something like this? I know of no way of minimimizing the domain name, which has 10 characters, so it has to be my name. Very limiting.

Guess this is another argument for brief domain names, if there any left!
I think the message means you can't have a user name -- ignoring the domain part -- of more than 16 characters. Such limits are not uncommon.

Shane
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 07:37 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
I don't have a clue but it sure is weird that there is that sort of limit...have you asked their tech support about it?
Yep. I posted yesterday — have to go see what they say.

Old 01-01-2006, 07:39 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Stanley
I think the message means you can't have a user name -- ignoring the domain part -- of more than 16 characters. Such limits are not uncommon.
You would think so, but no — you get the error when trying to set up an e-mail address, and it comes only when you enter the username plus domain name. It accepts kt@ but not ktinkel@ my 10-character domain name.

I find it odd. Maybe tech support has replied, or will tomorrow anyway.

Old 01-01-2006, 08:16 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Stanley
Well, turns out you are right, sort of. Here is the explanation:
If you choose a username that already exists on the server (as a unix user), webmin’s default behavior is to add a dash and the base domain name, since we need to assign unix permissions for the new user’s Maildir and there cannot be duplicates.
So now I know. Unix giveth, and it taketh away.

Old 01-01-2006, 12:05 PM   #7
dthomsen8

Default Your name the problem?

Do I follow this thread as saying that the answer is that your name in particular is the problem, but you could have a twenty character name, as long as it wasn't in use by Unix?

Quote:
If you choose a username that already exists on the server (as a unix user), webmin’s default behavior is to add a dash and the base domain name, since we need to assign unix permissions for the new user’s Maildir and there cannot be duplicates.

dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 12:58 PM   #8
Shane Stanley
Staff

Ahah. So now you need a unique user name. Deed poll?

;-)

Shane
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 10:53 PM   #9
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)

Kathleen,

My sites are currently on a Unix server using Mailman for the e-mail server and I can't use any e-mail names that are already defined for any other site on the mail server (bit of a problem since most of my sites tend to need a generic "info@..." address)

I don't know if this is related, but my host company set the server to allow me to set up whatever mailboxes I need, but the actual mailbox is infoN (with a number) and the info@ is an alias that forwards to the mailbox. The host has the system set so the mailbox still sends from the info@ address, but I have no idea how they set it up.

Moving all my sites in the coming months and hope this problem goes away, but no idea yet.

Quote:

Old 01-02-2006, 05:19 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoyle
I don't know if this is related, but my host company set the server to allow me to set up whatever mailboxes I need, but the actual mailbox is infoN (with a number) and the info@ is an alias that forwards to the mailbox. The host has the system set so the mailbox still sends from the info@ address, but I have no idea how they set it up.
I don’t know if it is related either, being your essential dunce about this stuff, but it sounds like it.

And I was directed to a workaround; just couldn’t figure out how to apply it, so for the short term chose a different username. Now so long as I can remember it, things should be okay!