DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 12-29-2005, 02:00 PM   #1
Michael Rowley

Default How do I make the TOC active in PDF?

I've made a PDF document from a Word document with an active table of contents, but although I've use the same settings for the conversion as usual (I think), the TOC in the PDF document is not an active one, i.e. you have to read it and go to the right page. Finding the right page is not as easy as it sounds, because the document has over 150 A4 text pages. How can I ensure that the PDF has an active TOC?

And a second question: how can I make a PDF not count the preliminary pages in Acrobat?

Old 12-29-2005, 06:04 PM   #2
BobRoosth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
I've made a PDF document from a Word document with an active table of contents, but although I've use the same settings for the conversion as usual (I think), the TOC in the PDF document is not an active one, i.e. you have to read it and go to the right page. Finding the right page is not as easy as it sounds, because the document has over 150 A4 text pages. How can I ensure that the PDF has an active TOC?

And a second question: how can I make a PDF not count the preliminary pages in Acrobat?
In my copy of Word 2003, there is a menu item for Adobe PDF. The Options for that has a section on conversion of Word Headings or Styles to Bookmarks. If your not using the built-in PDF generaor, I don't know how.

As for page numbers, I believe it has always been the case that Acrobat files have a single set of page numbers, starting with one. No allowance is made for documents with numbered sections.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 08:34 AM   #3
Michael Rowley

Bob:

'In my copy of Word 2003, there is a menu item for Adobe PDF'

Yes, there is in mine too, but since I changed to Acrobat 7, PDFMaker has changed its method: in Acrobat 6, it was just a VBA macro that initiated things. I find that since the autumn, every PDF document I make has a non-active TOC. To get the appropriate settings in Distiller (which actually makes the PDF format), you have to go to the 'Advanced' button, which cranks up the Distiller settings. But my trouble is that the settings in Distiller 7 appear the same as in Distiller 6, which did produce TOCs that are active.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:30 PM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>>Yes, there is in mine too, but since I changed to Acrobat 7, PDFMaker has changed its method: in Acrobat 6, it was just a VBA macro that initiated things.

If you mean that it just fired off the normal process of printing to the Adobe PDF driver, no. PDFMaker did all the background work to ensure that links worked in the PDF, including those from the TOC, and a great deal more. It did all the preparatory work and then automated the printing process; simply printing to PDF would produce a PDF with no interactive features, links, tagging etc.

Do you still use PDFMaker in 7 (assuming it hasn't gone away or hasn't been replaced with something else)?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:40 AM   #5
Michael Rowley

Steve:

'Do you still use PDFMaker in 7'

Yes I do, and it still delivers PDF documents that have all the qualities that I ask for, except that the TOC has no links to the content (in the original Word document, it does). I've checked the settings, and they appear to be the same as I used for PDFMaker 6, which retained the links in the PDF documents it produced. Among those settings is 'Make TOC entries links'.

I assumed that fairly short documents I produced after switching to Acrobat 7 in the summer had active TOCs, as their predecessors did (they were just updated from last year), but I was wrong. However, since I now have a 130*000-word document, it is now really important that the TOC provides links to help readers get to the right pages.

Old 01-06-2006, 06:40 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

What a huge nuisance. I can't imagine having to produce such a thing manually.

Have you checked on the User to User forums at Adobe.com? Perhaps someone there knows more about this.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 01-07-2006, 08:59 AM   #7
Michael Rowley

Steve:

Have you checked on the User to User forums at Adobe.com?

No, I haven't tried that yet. I had hoped that with all these Web experts on this forum I'd find someone with knowledge of PDF content, since PDFs are the main source of solid information on the Web. in fact, I don't find many documents with active TOCs (i.e. ones whose entries are links to the page they refer to), although many of them are over a hundred A4 pages long.

The non-active TOC problem with PDF documents is mainly due to the pagination, which seldom coincides with the actual number of pages. Do you know if paginating in Acrobat provides a solution? Does it give page numbers that can be found by Acrobat's 'Go to'?

Old 01-07-2006, 09:40 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>>The non-active TOC problem with PDF documents is mainly due to the pagination, which seldom coincides with the actual number of pages.

I'm puzzled by that. Do the links point to the wrong pages or do they not work at all?
>>Do you know if paginating in Acrobat provides a solution? Does it give page numbers that can be found by Acrobat's 'Go to'?

Yes. Acrobat's view of page numbers is very literal and equal to the number of pages in the document. In other words, if you have 10 pages of unnumbered front material, your page 1 is on what Acrobat considers page 11.

That's the number it inserts when you add page numbers in footers/headers and that's what the Go To feature uses.

You can have it start numbering on page 11, leaving the front material unnumbered, but it'll start numbering your page 1 with its number 11.

In other words, I don't think there's any way to get its numbers to line up with those in the TOC. Unless ... hmmm.

You might be able to create one PDF with just the front material, a second with all the numbered pages, then combine the two.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 01-08-2006, 10:04 AM   #9
Michael Rowley

Steve:

Do the links point to the wrong pages or do they not work at all?

Oh, links point to the right page in Acrobat or A. Reader when they do work: links made from Word links by PDFMaker 6 (and Distiller) worked perfectly, but now with PDFMaker 7 (which functions differently) I get none, even though the same TOC in Word has the equivalent links.

You can have it start numbering on page 11, leaving the front material unnumbered, but it'll start numbering your page 1 with its number 11.

That's what I feared, but the Acrobat 'Help' file did suggest that AR would be able to distinguish between p. iii (say) and p. 3, provided the pagination was done in Acrobat.

To give an idea of the problems caused by not having an active TOC, consider a recent Bill: it has 41 front pages before you get to page 1, in other words, the first folio '1' is on p. 42. That particular TOC only indicates the numbers of the paragraphs, so the only way of finding a particular numbered paragraph in the absence of an active TOC is to use 'Search'.

And they want us to read eBooks? Life's too short!

Old 01-08-2006, 05:08 PM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I'm *well* aware of the advantages of a live TOC.
Let's face it, for the most part, reading dense printed material on screen is not particularly pleasant and generally nowhere near as convenient.

The reason I *like* PDFs is that, done properly, you can have links, search, TOC and all those other lovely features that make it easier to find what you're after; the features that compensate for the drawbacks of on-screen literature. Without those, it's a losing proposition.

www.pptools.com
and stuff