DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 12-26-2005, 08:10 PM   #1
Dave

Default Limit web page size when going to it

I would like to limit the size of a web page so that it just fits the flash animation I have created. This is not a dynamic page where I can use JavaScript to create it to a specific size, it already exists.

Thanks,
ATS
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 10:11 PM   #2
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
I would like to limit the size of a web page so that it just fits the flash animation I have created. This is not a dynamic page where I can use JavaScript to create it to a specific size, it already exists.
Do you mean setting the size of the (existing) browser window? You can use JavaScript to resize it - but do realize that many people prevent this use of JavaScript in their browsers, as it's extremely annoying to have your carefully-sized browser window suddenly take on another size!

Maybe you should dynamically resize the Flash animation so it fits in the existing window?

Another approach would be to use an object (or iframe) sized the same as your Flash to display the web page in. There, are, of course accessibility issues with that - but then there are with most Flash animations, too.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 10:59 PM   #3
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)

Quote:

Thanks,
ATS
Dave,

Marjolein is right... it's very user-unfriendly to force a window size. Keep in mind the growing popularity of handheld web access... that makes pages sized to percentages, rather than an absolute width, even more critical.

IMO, 95% or more of web pages don't need Flash, Javascript, or any other bells and whistles. E-tail sites tend to be the flashiest, but the usability isn't usually there.

Call me old fashioned, but I still prefer using CSS to dress up a page. Simpler is better, even if you're selling something. Though all of my sites are to provide information, so my primary concern is to make that information easy to find. So I admit I'm biased towards simplicity. Unfortunatley, many web designers don't share my views.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:53 AM   #4
dthomsen8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoyle
IMO, 95% or more of web pages don't need Flash, Javascript, or any other bells and whistles. E-tail sites tend to be the flashiest, but the usability isn't usually there.
Now, we agree completely on that idea. The worst are sites with Flash required to see the rest of the site, or even the site at all. Foolish!
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:38 AM   #5
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)

Quote:

Thanks,
ATS
Flash can be accessible (one Smithsonian site was done well) but very, very few Flash users are really well trained in web design and usability. That's the major reason most Flash sites just aren't done correctly.