DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > How to Use the Forum

Old 02-15-2005, 06:29 PM   #1
djb

Default Login not remembering me

Even though I have checked the "remember me" box, the forum is *not* doing so.

OS X 10.3.8, Safari 1.2.4 (v125.12). Safari is set to accept cookies from sites I navigate to.

Are cookies for this site being set from another domain? If so, which one?

djb
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 07:55 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb

OS X 10.3.8, Safari 1.2.4 (v125.12). Safari is set to accept cookies from sites I navigate to.

djb
I've got the opposite problem. It logs me right in, no matter what I do, and sometimes I'd like to come in without logging in, to see what guests see.

My OS and Safari versions are identical to yours.

What happens if you log out and come in via one of the e-mail notifications? Does that log you in automatically?

Another suggestion is to set Safari to accept all cookies, log in, then set your cookies back to only sites you navigate to.

Old 02-15-2005, 08:13 PM   #3
djb

Default Login not remembering me... and autofill title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
I've got the opposite problem. It logs me right in, no matter what I do, and sometimes I'd like to come in without logging in, to see what guests see.
My OS and Safari versions are identical to yours.
What happens if you log out and come in via one of the e-mail notifications? Does that log you in automatically?
If I'm logged out and come in on an email notify I'm taken to the login screen and have to manually enter my ID and password. The "remember me" box is checked when I hit that screen.

Quote:
Another suggestion is to set Safari to accept all cookies, log in, then set your cookies back to only sites you navigate to.
I notice that when I log out the forum software tells me it's cleared all cookies... so I don't see how your suggestion would help. Even if it does, given that I don't have this problem at other sites (such as macosxhints and macfixit/versiontracker) with my current settings it appears to me that it's the forum software that's misbehaving and not my browser. IMO it's incumbent on the forum software to behave rather than to expect users to jump through hoops.

Another nit to pick... it would be nice if the forum sw would autofill the "title" field when I'm replying. Or is that an option I can set and have missed?

Oh yeah... Something that would be a BIG help for this Canuck would be an online spellcheck. <g>

djb
Old 02-15-2005, 08:26 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
If I'm logged out and come in on an email notify I'm taken to the login screen and have to manually enter my ID and password. The "remember me" box is checked when I hit that screen.

I notice that when I log out the forum software tells me it's cleared all cookies... so I don't see how your suggestion would help. Even if it does, given that I don't have this problem at other sites (such as macosxhints and macfixit/versiontracker) with my current settings it appears to me that it's the forum software that's misbehaving and not my browser. IMO it's incumbent on the forum software to behave rather than to expect users to jump through hoops.
The software has to set some cookies that don't get deleted, in order to remember your username and password. While I appreciate that you're irritated by what's happening to you, I am saying that Safari is remembering mine, as is Firefox and Mozilla on the Mac, and IE, Firefox, Mozilla, Opera and Netscape on my PC laptop. Please humour me and try my suggestion, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
Another nit to pick... it would be nice if the forum sw would autofill the "title" field when I'm replying. Or is that an option I can set and have missed?
If you leave the title blank, your message will show up in the thread tree with the first few words of your post, which we think is really nifty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
Oh yeah... Something that would be a BIG help for this Canuck would be an online spellcheck. <g>
But then you'd complain that it tried to change your spelling to American. ;-)

Old 02-15-2005, 08:38 PM   #5
djb

Quote:
Please humour me and try my suggestion, eh?
Perhaps in the morning. It's late here and I'm headed to bed.

Quote:
But then you'd complain that it tried to change your spelling to American.
Point taken. I shall refrain from making feature requests or criticisms of the software interface in the future. So very, very nice to pick up where we left off.

Sigh.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:45 PM   #6
annc
Sysop

Maybe I should have winked more than once? You grinned in your original note, remember. ;-)

Old 02-16-2005, 12:24 AM   #7
Franca
Staff

Hi, Dave,

I usually don't bother logging out here, but I thought I would see what happens when I do. If I log out and come back in, my user name is filled in but my PW is not. (The "Remember me" box is checked.) This is what I would expect to happen if I log out. When you do it, the forum doesn't even remember your user name? That is odd! But since I'm on Firefox on a PC we'll need someone with something closer to your setup to poke around some more. Sorry the logout/login is behaving badly for you! Are you on a system where you must log out? I'm not, so I finally gave it up because I got tired of it - but not without a few pangs! Old habits die hard....

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 01:19 AM   #8
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb

djb
Just a thought after a glass of wine. I'm sure I have my keychain remembering my login details. Did you let your keychain remember your details?

Old 02-16-2005, 06:36 AM   #9
djb

Quote:
Just a thought after a glass of wine. I'm sure I have my keychain remembering my login details. Did you let your keychain remember your details?
Affirmative. I use the keychain heavily.

I'm home sick today so will take some time this ayem and poke about various settings.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:48 AM   #10
Jonathan
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb

I have the same exact setup, and when I click a bookmark I slide right in without ever seeing a login screen.

And like you, I use the keychain.

So, as far as I can see, it doesn't appear to be the forum software.