DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 12-19-2005, 12:54 PM   #1
marlene
Staff

Default Tote that drive (for laptop)

When I bought my laptop, I got the largest HD drive that was available for that model. And, of course, it's not large enough, especially since it looks like I'll need to install several more big apps.

Aren't there some smallish portable HDs made specifically for laptop users? (I'd use it for data files, not software.) Something I can easily tuck into my computer "briefcase"? I've got a couple of external HDs for my desktop PC, but they're way too large to be lugging around.

I do have three of those little USB thumb drives, but they're not big enough. I need something with at least 10 Gb capacity, preferably more. I was thinking maybe 30 or 40 Gb.

And I want something reliable, of course. That's more important that the cost.

Any suggestions?

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:21 PM   #2
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene
Aren't there some smallish portable HDs made specifically for laptop users? (I'd use it for data files, not software.) Something I can easily tuck into my computer "briefcase"? I've got a couple of external HDs for my desktop PC, but they're way too large to be lugging around.
Yes, there are; there are drives that will fit into a pocket.

Quote:
I need something with at least 10 Gb capacity, preferably more. I was thinking maybe 30 or 40 Gb.

And I want something reliable, of course. That's more important that the cost.

Any suggestions?
Try googling for [external laptop drive] - that brings up several candidates though most seem to be in the 20GB range. No idea about their reliability, but given some candidates you might try searching for reviews.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:24 AM   #3
Howard White

<<Aren't there some smallish portable HDs made specifically for laptop users? (I'd use it for data files, not software.) Something I can easily tuck into my computer "briefcase"? I've got a couple of external HDs for my desktop PC, but they're way too large to be lugging around.>>

Take a look at:
http://www.wiebetech.com/products/ComboGB.php
I've had good luck with their stuff before. Small Dog Electronics, my fave supplier of Mac goodies, is currently backordered on this baby.

HW
Howard White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:37 PM   #4
marlene
Staff

Quote:
there are drives that will fit into a pocket
That's what I need. I had Googled and not found exactly what I wanted, but Howard's tip led to a Tom's Hardware review of several drives that would be good candidates.

mxh
Old 12-20-2005, 07:40 PM   #5
marlene
Staff

Thanks for the link! I'd never heard of WiebeTech.

I really like the fact that their drives include USB2, Firewire400 AND Firewire800 connections. And Tom's Hardware gave it a very good review.

Second choice would be a Seagate, but those have no Firewire doohickeys, so I may just fork over the extra bucks and get the WiebeTech. (I keep wanting to pronounce it "We be tech" ...)

I don't need the drive until February, so that should give me ample time to find one.

mxh
Old 12-21-2005, 04:26 AM   #6
Howard White

Quote:
Thanks for the link! I'd never heard of WiebeTech
.mxh
Hmm.. they advertise heavily in the Mac magazines, admittedly to a somewhat geeky audience.

I bought one of their drive docs in the (successful) hope it would rescue data from a 200gb external firewire drive whose electronics had fried. I'm sold. Just bought a relatively cheap external 250 gb bare drive and now have another luggable externnal storage device.

Try Small Dog Electronics. You get "Paw Points" for purchases and little plastic doggies with every order....

HW
Howard White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 04:58 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard White
Try Small Dog Electronics. You get "Paw Points" for purchases and little plastic doggies with every order....
Yeah! Marlene would like the little doggies.

Old 12-22-2005, 07:53 AM   #8
marlene
Staff

Quote:
Try Small Dog Electronics.
I checked their web site, and they seem to be exclusively Mac. IIRC, the WiebeTech web site said their external drives are specifically formatted for either Mac or PC, so I would have to get a PC version.

Also, I didn't even find that drive on the Small Dog website ...

mxh
Old 12-22-2005, 07:53 AM   #9
marlene
Staff

Quote:
Marlene would like the little doggies.
I'd have to keep them out of reach of the big doggies. <g>

mxh
Old 12-22-2005, 08:44 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
I checked their web site, and they seem to be exclusively Mac.
That’s odd, these days. Small Dog is an oldtime Mac supplier, it is true, but many things — ones that rely on USB, FireWire, ATA, etc. and do not require special drivers — are agnostic about platform these days.

But of course if they do not offer the drive, it doesn’t matter. Except that I suspect Small Dog is your kinda store!