DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 12-14-2005, 02:14 PM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Default Nutella fans?

Since we're talking about food...

I was positive that Franca said in a message back in the CompuServe days that she'd discovered Nutella and had found it quite addictive; but she assures me it wasn't her, and she doesn't like it.

So who was it? Now I just have to find out!

Old 12-14-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
So who was it [who loved Nutella]? Now I just have to find out!
Well, not me, that’s for sure.

I remember that thread, and next time I saw it, I bought a jar of Nutella. Yuck! The worst sort of cheap milk chocolate with semi-rancid nut butter.

Look elsewhere for this one!

Old 12-14-2005, 04:54 PM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Well, not me, that’s for sure.

I remember that thread, and next time I saw it, I bought a jar of Nutella. Yuck! The worst sort of cheap milk chocolate with semi-rancid nut butter.

Look elsewhere for this one!
Oh, I knew it wasn't you!

Now whoever it was won't be game to own up.

Old 12-14-2005, 04:59 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
Oh, I knew it wasn't you!

Now whoever it was won't be game to own up.
Oh, sure they will. It is fabulously popular, all around the world. Inexplicably, to me. But nonetheless!

Old 12-14-2005, 07:27 PM   #5
Michael Rowley

KT:

The worst sort of cheap milk chocolate with semi-rancid nut butter

I don't care for Nutella much, but all my children loved it. However, I don't think the ingredients are as you describe: its main ingredient is ground hazel nuts. I suspect that you acquired some very old stock!

Old 12-22-2005, 01:11 PM   #6
groucho
Staff

Ann, I remember the thread too (vaguely) and hearing some folks like it and some absolutely hate it. If it wasn't for all the hydroganated (sp?) oils in it, I wouldn't mind it for some limited uses. It's not the world's best chocolate or hazelnut flavor, but it is interesting in limited doses. Except, for the hydroganated part. I try to "Just Say No" when I see that in any alleged food product.

And speaking of chocolate products...Has anyone tried the Ghirardelli's hot chocolate mixes? The concept looks interesting, but when I'm taking a thermos out in cold wx I usually roll my own using dutch cocoa (often Droste's) and just smile when people ask why it tastes so good. I mean, how do you explain it tastes better because IT AIN'T A MIX and it isn't any harder to make?<G>
groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 01:37 PM   #7
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by groucho
Ann, I remember the thread too (vaguely) and hearing some folks like it and some absolutely hate it. If it wasn't for all the hydroganated (sp?) oils in it, I wouldn't mind it for some limited uses. It's not the world's best chocolate or hazelnut flavor, but it is interesting in limited doses. Except, for the hydroganated part. I try to "Just Say No" when I see that in any alleged food product.
That's another reason to avoid it. I hadn't thought of Nutella having trans fats in it.

One good thing about no longer travelling out to work is that I eat home-prepared food three times a day now. Hasn't helped my cholesterol, but at least i know I'm getting very little food containing trans fats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groucho
And speaking of chocolate products...Has anyone tried the Ghirardelli's hot chocolate mixes? The concept looks interesting, but when I'm taking a thermos out in cold wx I usually roll my own using dutch cocoa (often Droste's) and just smile when people ask why it tastes so good. I mean, how do you explain it tastes better because IT AIN'T A MIX and it isn't any harder to make?<G>
Don't know them, but then I don't like hot chocolate.

Old 12-22-2005, 02:54 PM   #8
Franca
Staff

Quote:
As a bit of a chocolate purist myself (mix my own hot cocoa as well) I have to say the Ghirardelli pre-mixed ones are not at all bad. Someone gave me a couple of tins for Christmas a couple of years ago and I enjoyed them. They were not like those odious mixes that come complete with fake mini-marshmallows. I've repressed the name ... oh - Swiss Miss. Ick. Anyway, the Ghirardellis are good to keep around in case of hot chocolate emergency and you simply can't spare the extra few seconds to add your own sugar, etc.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 03:44 PM   #9
groucho
Staff

Thanks, Franca. That's exactly what I was planning, to send them to someone who's stuck with near-zero cooking facilities as "emergency rations".<G>
groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 04:36 PM   #10
Michael Rowley

Ann:

I hadn't thought of Nutella having trans fats in it

I thought hydrogenation reduced the number of trans-double bonds, not increased them! The use of hydogenated fish oils used to be confined to fat for margarine, but Ferrero may have cottoned on that they are a good (i.e. cheap) alternative to using nut oil: on the other hand, possibly that's a libel.