DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 12-09-2005, 12:29 PM   #1
Daudio

Default Help with graphic design for page

I have been working up a small site for a couple of lawyers. It is going OK, so far, but I am at a stage where I want to set the basic page layout and design set so I can proceed with the other pages.

I'm not too worried about the code and content, but I AM NOT A GRAPHICS DESIGNER.
I can do many basic things, I just don't have the training and experience. My eye is good enough to judge that my graphic output is just not that great...

I posted the following sample page for the customer to comment on. So far there has been a deafing silence from them.

Sample Page

Perhaps the good folks here could give me a critique and pointers to improved visual design.

The left background image is a slice of a courthouse column repeated verticly. I had trouble finding an image with the right color and
vertical orientation. I do plan to find a better image for a similar treatment.

TIA !!

DaveAyers.com, Brass Backshop Forum
Daudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:57 PM   #2
Anne Wright

Dave, I like it overall. What stands out to me, though I am not a graphics designer either, is that the blue used for the background color at the top and bottom and the blue used for the divider bar both clash with the blue for the links.

To dress it up, what about putting a graphic of a column capital at the top on the left? That would enforce the columnar effect for the left menu area and give more weight to the top. You might even be able to put a column base at the bottom in the footer.
Anne
Anne Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:08 PM   #3
Daudio

Anne,

Quote:
what about putting a graphic of a column capital at the top on the left? That would enforce the columnar effect for the left menu area and give more weight to the top. You might even be able to put a column base at the bottom in the footer.
Good idea ! I like it.

Now all I have to do is find some good free source images. Any idea on where to look. I tryed google images without much success.

And I'll try and find a better blue for the links.

Thanks,

DaveAyers.com, Brass Backshop Forum
Daudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 06:35 PM   #4
donmcc

I don't like the stack of boxes at the left. A box means look at me. Which one am I supposed to look at if there are four. And why should I be looking there at all? Is it the most important thing? Also, I prefer a box with top and bottom rules only. Four lines locks the eye in, leaving the sides open still says "this is a box" but gives the eye an escape route.

Also, background images are passe and dangerous. If you really, really want to keep the one at the left, take it into Photoshop and drop the transparency to 30 percent or so.

But it is generally a nice effort.

Don McCahill
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 11:25 PM   #5
Richard Waller

Excellent. You have covered all the angles. Go with it.

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 01:40 AM   #6
Kelvyn
Staff

Dave

This is a promising layout. The first think that hits me on my large monitor is a vast amount of "white" space between the body text, which is to the left of centre, and the image and info boxes to the right. The underlining of links in the menu is probably not necessary. If you remove the underline (and have it appear on hover?) then you declutter that part of the page. The column image needs some reworking as it shows banding where it is repeated - and no matter what I do I can't get rid of the horizontal scroll bar.

These days, info boxes tend to take the form of a coloured block, without a border. This makes them less intrusive on a page but does not detract from having them highlighted for the site user.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 02:14 AM   #7
Richard Waller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
vast amount of "white" space between the body text,

The underlining of links in the menu is probably not necessary.

I can't get rid of the horizontal scroll bar.

These days, info boxes tend to take the form of a coloured block.
My feeling is that many visitors will use a window about 800 wide for website display. And as a second point here, and contraversially, I would always limit text line width to about 550 for ease of reading if by chance they do choose a wider screen.

One of my hobbyhorses is easy identifiction of links, and change of colour and underlining is the easiest and most recognisasble way. If not then highlighting the links with a style command like
<STYLE TYPE="text/css">a:hover{background-color:aqua;}
</STYLE>
And ALSO put a pointer on the front.

I thought the lined boxes on the right were rather smart. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some of my best sites have been taken over in-house or with another contractor and I do not like the new style at all. Such is life.

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 05:23 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daudio
Perhaps the good folks here could give me a critique and pointers to improved visual design.
I think it looks pretty good (I have seen many worse, that’s for sure).

However, a few picky points from a graphic (not graphics ) designer:
  • The column image down the left edge is a problem. Type over image is hard to read, and it is too wide — eats up precious horizontal space.
  • The image is also ambiguous — took me a bit of thinking to realize it was a picture of a column.
  • The links at left are clearly links and do not need underscores. Try using decoration: none, adding 2px padding beneath, and use a border-bottom of the background color that turns to a visible underscore on hover. Cleaner, yet clear.
  • Either center everything (not a good idea!) or nothing. Mixing flush left and centered text is unnerving (and poor design practice). Centering is best reserved for decorative purposes (a book cover title, say).
  • The blurbs at right take up too much space. That is, the important content is at left (I assume) and it should be wider. You could fix this by placing the image in the left-hand column (but I rather like it at right), then using that width for the main text, or otherwise making more room for text, less for blurbs.
  • Kill the boxes. Old design guideline: Don’t use a box if a rule will do; don’t use a rule if layout (or space) will do.
  • Omit the vertical and top horizontal rule. They emphasize (clash with) the angles of the columns in the photo. But they also accomplishing nothing (see designer guideline above).
  • Headlines should not have punctuation: kill the colons. And best not to capitalize words (other than proper nouns) except the first.
But I think it is a rather good layout overall. The faults I see are in the details. Good luck with it.

Old 12-10-2005, 08:09 AM   #9
George

I looked at the site Sat. morning at about noon east coast time. I like it. It's a perfect balance of simple and sophisticated. It has a unique color scheme, that still remains within tradition. Nice graphics actually. I don't like the underlined links.

Go for it.

Regards,

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 01:05 PM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>>Also, background images are passe and dangerous.

Could you give more detail on this? B/G images in html vs the same image placed via CSS or just in general?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote