DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 12-09-2005, 09:03 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Snow, snow, snow!

It is one thing for Vermonters and Toontowners and Alaskans, but quite another for residents of southern Connecticut to have two enduring snowfalls before Christmas! Not to mention temps that rarely get above freezing, day or night. I have no hope at all for an easy winter.

Still waiting for our first cold-weather gas bill; should be a doozie, with estimates of 130% of ast year’s rates (and what looks to be about the same increase in usage because of the cold).

Keep warm everyone.

Old 12-09-2005, 10:14 AM   #2
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Ditto here, but it's been more snowfalls than just two, and the highs have averaged in the upper single digits to lower teens for a couple of weeks at least. Lows have gone below zero several times and certainly below zero with windchill factors, even during the day! Brrrrrrrrr!!

We've been fighting the natural gas bills with our wood-burning stove and a couple of pick-up loads of scrap lumber from our friend's sawmill a couple of miles away. Beyond that we're on the "budget billing" thing with both the electric and gas utilities. I'll be curious to see how our next gas bill is, given that we've been doing our level best, using the wood stove, to keep the furnace from turning on. With luck, our usage will be below the 'budget billing' amount and stay that way all through winter.

Old 12-09-2005, 11:56 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC
Ditto here, but it's been more snowfalls than just two, and the highs have averaged in the upper single digits to lower teens for a couple of weeks at least. Lows have gone below zero several times and certainly below zero with windchill factors, even during the day! Brrrrrrrrr!!
Yeah, but you moved to Iowa with malice aforethought!

We have had winters in Connecticut with no snow, or none that lasted any length of time, with days often in the 40s (even 50s). This is too shocking, especially after a very warm autumn. (We scarcely had a week between shutting off the airconditioning and starting up the heat!)

Or maybe I am just getting too old to enjoy this.

Old 12-09-2005, 12:18 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Please send some of that cool air down here. We've been up around 34ºC with 90% humidity for a week or more, with only a minimal drop to 32ºC predicted in the next few days.

And I was without a car for much of that time, with middle of the day appointments around town. On Thursday I had a mild case of heat stroke, I think. Now I have a hire car for a couple of weeks, so at least I should be able to avoid that happening again.

Old 12-09-2005, 01:54 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
On Thursday I had a mild case of heat stroke, I think.
O no! That is dangerous. Good thing you have a car to use now.

Old 12-09-2005, 02:28 PM   #6
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
O no! That is dangerous. Good thing you have a car to use now.
Well, it was very mild, and I recognised the symptoms and did something about it as soon as I could. People die here every summer from it.

Old 12-10-2005, 09:56 AM   #7
jgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
It is one thing for Vermonters and Toontowners and Alaskans, but quite another for residents of southern Connecticut to have two enduring snowfalls before Christmas!
Two? We've already had THREE. I'm tired of this winter already... and it ain't even officially winter yet!

Old 12-10-2005, 11:06 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgr
Two? We've already had THREE. I'm tired of this winter already... and it ain't even officially winter yet!
Did I miss one? Well, they have been kind of blurring together.

And now they promise more for Monday. Yuck. I’m usually content to have a bit of snow, but this is too much too early, and I do not like the way the trend is looking.

Old 12-10-2005, 03:56 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kt: It is one thing for Vermonters and Toontowners and Alaskans, but quite another for residents of southern Connecticut to have two enduring snowfalls before Christmas!
Ok...I admit it...it's my fault...'-}}

I have a new farrier for Zo and I completely forgot about getting her anti-snowballing pads put on...this of course is like carrying an umbrella to make sure that it doesn't rain...'-}}

The pads will be put on at the end of the month so perhaps they will make the rest of the winter snow go away...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 05:22 PM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
Ok...I admit it...it's my fault...'-}}
Hey — fix it, willya! This is getting old!