DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 12-02-2005, 06:00 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Adobe & Macromedia deal

According to a press release yesterday, Adobe’s acquisition of Macromedia is expected to close on December 3. That means that all the regulatory and shareholder requirements have been met.

There is more information in the release and at the Adobe web site.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:00 AM   #2
Kelvyn
Staff

Adobe have already announced three software packages following the merger.
See here.

For some rason the web deveoper package contains Dreamweaver 8 and Adobe GoLive CS!!

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:45 AM   #3
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
Adobe have already announced three software packages following the merger.
See here.

For some rason the web deveoper package contains Dreamweaver 8 and Adobe GoLive CS!!
And as I fully expected, HomeSite has disappeared witout a trace:
Web Publishing Products. While Macromedia didn't fully succeed in killing it off, Adobe has done it for them, it seems.

Sad times for those that write code.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:03 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
And as I fully expected, HomeSite has disappeared witout a trace …

Sad times for those that write code.
Perhaps because there is no Mac version? Does sound odd, though — they have other products that do not match up precisely across platforms, and HomeSite did seem like a very nifty program.

Old 12-05-2005, 11:24 AM   #5
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
And as I fully expected, HomeSite has disappeared witout a trace:
Marjolein, HomeSite 5.5 is still listed on macromedia.com (which now carries the Adobe logo) and is bundled with DreamWeaver 8. There is still a HomeSite forum on the Macromedia site, but it does not seem to attract much traffic.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:07 PM   #6
donmcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
I think the reason is because this is just a quicky deal hammered together by adding the price of an Adobe package (CS) to a Macromedia one (Studio). I mean, really ... $1900 US?

I'll bet that if you order this week, it will only be one bill, but you will get two Fed-Ex shipments, from the different warehouses. It is going to take some time to consolidate things.

Heck, to upgrade to that package you have to own BOTH CS and an old version of Studio. Basically this is the same deal you would have gotten last week, with one less credit card slip.

It will probably be months away, but eventually a real package will emerge.

I am hoping that I will be able to get an upgrade to Dreamweaver for free when they announce the death or sale of GoLive.
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:32 PM   #7
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Perhaps because there is no Mac version? Does sound odd, though — they have other products that do not match up precisely across platforms, and HomeSite did seem like a very nifty program.
There has never been a Mac (or Linux, for that matter) version of HomeSite, simply because it it is programmed in Delphi and apart from that is heavily dependent on Windows libraries. A rewrite in Kylix (Delphi for *nix) had been considered but rejected mostly because of the heavy dependence on Windows libraries for which there is no equivalent, which would have made it a very costly operation for unknown (but probably smallish) returns.

When Macromedia took over Allaire, some of the HomeSite development team were moved to the Dreamweaver team to transfer some of the HomeSite "technology" (which Macromedia wanted) - but Homesite continues to have some unique properties that cater to code-centric developers. Dreamweaver never was, and never will be, code-centric - a "code mode" in a primarily graphical WYSIWYG development environment is not what real code-centric developers wish for (you'd pay for a lot of baggage you never use anyway).

Although HomeSite is very extensible and can be may to support virtually any tag-based language (that includes any XML implementation) the product itself was already slated for end-of-life when Macromedia took over Allaire - they just took a bit longer than planned to finally kill it off. But writing extensions is not something for the average HomeSite user...

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote