DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 12-01-2005, 07:54 AM   #1
George

Default Search Engine Submissions

Webnauts,

That was an interesting first post. I'll look forward to your second one.

Now, about search engine submissions -- I understand Google and Yahoo get most of the traffic. So, how much time should one really spend submitting to other engines?? How much result can be expected?? It seems to have limited significance.

I get most of my traffic out of search engines from MSN Search. They like me. Google doesn't even give me credit for the links to my site from others that I know I have, but I'm slowly improving in position there.

Regards,

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:57 AM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by George
I get most of my traffic out of search engines from MSN Search. They like me. Google doesn't even give me credit for the links to my site from others that I know I have, but I'm slowly improving in position there.
My experience is similar to yours. I have quite a lot of links into my site, but they are mostly from sites with lower Google page ranking than mine (some of them have a page ranking of zero). MSN bots more or less live in my forums, but Google bots just pass through a few times a day, and so far are not indexing the threads.

Old 12-01-2005, 01:08 PM   #3
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Google doesn't even give me credit for the links to my site from others that I know I have, but I'm slowly improving in position there.
In that case you site has been indexed, but may require optimisation to improve ranking for your keyphrases. Resubmitting is a waste of time, although setting up a Google XML sitemap may help to ensure that all the pages are included in the index.

With the recent changes in the way Google factors backlinks into the ranking algorithm you have to be careful about the way link numbers grow. You can be proactive in submitting to directories, but don't do them all in one hit. There are ranking benefits arising from backlinks increasing in an organic way, and coming from related authoritative sites.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 06:20 PM   #4
Webnauts

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
but Google bots just pass through a few times a day, and so far are not indexing the threads.
Do you have a mod-rewrite running for your forums? If not, I seriously assume that you need that. Check here if you need help for that: http://www.doriat.com/index.php

By the way, which forums software do you use?
Old 12-01-2005, 06:24 PM   #5
Webnauts

George I agree with Kelvyn. I would suggest you to tell us which site you are concerned about, so we have a closer look.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:27 PM   #6
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webnauts
Do you have a mod-rewrite running for your forums? If not, I seriously assume that you need that. Check here if you need help for that: http://www.doriat.com/index.php

By the way, which forums software do you use?
Thanks! I've bookmarked that site to go back and find out more about it.

My forums use vBulletin, same as here.

Old 12-02-2005, 04:54 AM   #7
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
In that case you site has been indexed, but may require optimisation to improve ranking for your keyphrases. Resubmitting is a waste of time, although setting up a Google XML sitemap may help to ensure that all the pages are included in the index.

With the recent changes in the way Google factors backlinks into the ranking algorithm you have to be careful about the way link numbers grow. You can be proactive in submitting to directories, but don't do them all in one hit. There are ranking benefits arising from backlinks increasing in an organic way, and coming from related authoritative sites.
I just started submitting to related directories, and then, I got tired of it. The sites that listed my site did not require a recipracol link, but I added the links at the bottom of the homepage anyway, as it just seemed fair, and it creates, I hope, a sense of community.

I think I'm completely indexed. The articles can be found. It took Google months to recognize the site. At one point, about a month ago, for a week or two, the articles were coming up fast and easy, but then that changed. Yahoo did the same thing.

I don't know what an XML sitemap is. I haven't studied XML yet. I have two books on it that look pretty good. I thought XML will become the standard, so I should learn it and convert the site. But, when should I invest the time to do that?? Would it be a good idea to do it now?? Maybe so: I doubt it is very difficult, and it might be best to do before the site gets too large. But my CSS code on my articles with outline structures is very tricky, and their consistent functioning in all resolutions and text zooming has to be preserved. (That's where I put values in the OL tags. Looks stupid, but the only way that works).

Regards,

George
Old 12-02-2005, 05:02 AM   #8
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webnauts
George I agree with Kelvyn. I would suggest you to tell us which site you are concerned about, so we have a closer look.
Well, let me say, that in my giving the URL, I am seeking comment only on design, not content of the site. Everyone has their own opinions. So, if we can limit the conversation here to design features, I would appreciate it.

http://www.loveofchrist.info/

It's difficult to categorize for various reasons. Terms in the banner are under heavy debate now in forums. And, I'd like the site to grow to 200 to 400 articles, which would include a broad range of subjects. I'm even thinking of putting on my play script -- I have a feeling about it.

As an aside, I added the graphic at the bottom of a book to balance the copyscape button. Now I wonder if it looks cluttered.

Another aside -- I put in borders to reduce text width according to Kathleen's suggestion. That is nice. But, one day one of the articles put all the border on the right side instead of centered in IE. I can't find a code error. Could somone tell me, there has to be an error to find???

Regards,

George
Old 12-02-2005, 05:17 AM   #9
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
I don't know what an XML sitemap is
George

The Google sitemap information is here.

You don't have to know anything about XML to use a sitemap generation program. Google have their own (link on the Google page above) and there are quite a few other programs available, too. I use phpSitemapNG which serves my purposes just fine. When pages are added to a site I just run the program and a new sitemap is generated with the new urls, ping Google and the bot comes to visit soon after.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 05:28 AM   #10
George

As always you have the interesting links. Thanks Kelvyn.

Regards,

George