DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 11-30-2005, 08:16 PM   #1
nick

Default where to send a small print job?

In the past, I've sent all my work to a local printer here in NJ. I just finished a tri-fold little brochure for a local firm using InDesign and they only want 500 copies, so I have been looking at internet printers. Any suggestions much appreciated and ideas about proofs too.

Tks,

Nick
nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:16 AM   #2
Paul

I was going to have a trifold brochure printed by Vistaprint (www.vistaprint.com) last year, but we eventually decided not to use 4-color printing for it. I have used Vistaprint for letterhead, business cards, and postcards, but these were all done with Vistaprint's standard templates, not a design that I would have uploaded.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:00 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick
In the past, I've sent all my work to a local printer here in NJ. I just finished a tri-fold little brochure for a local firm using InDesign and they only want 500 copies, so I have been looking at internet printers. Any suggestions much appreciated and ideas about proofs too.
Have you talked to your local printer about it? Sometimes a small job is economical for them, even in such a small quantity (especially as you are doing the job for a local firm).

Most of the inexpensive web printers gang up several jobs on large sheets. The technical quality may be very good (often is), but you almost surely have more limitations on stock selection and if you have any extra spot colors, may have to compromise on those (or simulate them with CYMK).

If you’ve already checked with your favorite printer and found him too expensive, did you ask him if he knew someone who could run that sort of job? Seems to me he would want to please you if he could.

I tend to treasure helpful local printers — they have saved my bacon many times! It often plays both ways.

Old 12-01-2005, 12:56 PM   #4
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

Hi Nick
I am a printer in the UK - it really depends whether u are the end user and can gamble, a small designer who is working to a budget and wants to make as much money as possible and so are looking for the cheapest printer or your reputation is reliant on quality. I have no idea what is available in NZ - if your reputation is based on quality - then in my view its best to build a relationship with a local printer. If price matters then the options may be digital - you pays your money and takes your choice
Peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 05:57 AM   #5
nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Have you talked to your local printer about it? Sometimes a small job is economical for them, even in such a small quantity (especially as you are doing the job for a local firm).

Most of the inexpensive web printers gang up several jobs on large sheets. The technical quality may be very good (often is), but you almost surely have more limitations on stock selection and if you have any extra spot colors, may have to compromise on those (or simulate them with CYMK).

If you’ve already checked with your favorite printer and found him too expensive, did you ask him if he knew someone who could run that sort of job? Seems to me he would want to please you if he could.

I tend to treasure helpful local printers — they have saved my bacon many times! It often plays both ways.

Kathleen,

I have 2 local printers, both of which I've used in the past. The one I would like to use is under Chapter 11 and reorganizing and the people I knew are gone and I'm not sure this is their kind of thing, particularly in this volume and as I have no relationship with the new boss, I don't think he can match the price or even come close to what I'm seeing on the web. The other printer has been very close to a competitior (in a tabloid we used to do) and last time I tried to work with him, gave me a hard time. I realized he really didn't want my business, which shocked the he** out of me, until I realized just how much he was making off the other newspaper. There are other possibilities, but I haven't worked with any of them before, so I would be just as lost with them as with the web people.

Nick
Old 12-03-2005, 06:05 AM   #6
nick

Kathleen,

KT>> Most of the inexpensive web printers gang up several jobs on large sheets. The technical quality may be very good (often is), but you almost surely have more limitations on stock selection and if you have any extra spot colors, may have to compromise on those (or simulate them with CYMK). Most of the inexpensive web printers gang up several jobs on large sheets. The technical quality may be very good (often is), but you almost surely have more limitations on stock selection and if you have any extra spot colors, may have to compromise on those (or simulate them with CYMK).

We're going to try and do everything without spot colors, just CYMK. We wonder if they do proofs so you can check quality prior to authorizing the job. Normally, I would have proofs that I can show to the client so they can sign off on it, but in this case, the client can't be bothered with that as they've never done it before and "trust" us, but that has a downside if the work comes in offcolor, etc.

Nick
Old 12-03-2005, 06:05 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick
… Chapter 11 and reorganizing and the people I knew are gone … The other printer has been very close to a competitior (in a tabloid we used to do) and last time I tried to work with him, gave me a hard time. I realized he really didn't want my business, which shocked the he** out of me …
That scotches that idea!

Sorry I do not have any suggestions for a web printer. Perhaps someone else will.

Old 12-03-2005, 06:08 AM   #8
nick

Peter,

PA>> I am a printer in the UK - it really depends whether u are the end user and can gamble, a small designer who is working to a budget and wants to make as much money as possible and so are looking for the cheapest printer or your reputation is reliant on quality. I have no idea what is available in NZ - if your reputation is based on quality - then in my view its best to build a relationship with a local printer. If price matters then the options may be digital - you pays your money and takes your choice

Yup. Looks like we will pay our money and take our chance with a web printer in this case (see my reply to Kathleen on this topic).

Should be interesting.

<wry grin>

Tks,

Nick
Old 12-03-2005, 06:12 AM   #9
nick

Paul,

<< I was going to have a trifold brochure printed by Vistaprint (www.vistaprint.com) last year, but we eventually decided not to use 4-color printing for it. I have used Vistaprint for letterhead, business cards, and postcards, but these were all done with Vistaprint's standard templates, not a design that I would have uploaded.>>

Vistaprint is one that we looked at as we too have used it for business cards (letterhead we print as needed for local variations).

Tks,

Nick