DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 11-29-2005, 03:50 PM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Default Firefox PC developer tool

How on earth do you access the Developer Tool in Firefox on the PC? On my Mac, I have a toolbar with Disable, CSS, Forms, Images, Information, Miscellaneous, Outline, Resize, Tools, View Source and Options

But I can't find any of these tools on the PC. Firefox told me it was installing the Developer Tools when I installed both 1.0.7 and 1.5, but I can't for the life of me find them, and searching on the Term 'developer' in the Help turns up nothing.

Old 11-29-2005, 05:44 PM   #2
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
How on earth do you access the Developer Tool in Firefox on the PC? On my Mac, I have a toolbar with Disable, CSS, Forms, Images, Information, Miscellaneous, Outline, Resize, Tools, View Source and Options

But I can't find any of these tools on the PC. Firefox told me it was installing the Developer Tools when I installed both 1.0.7 and 1.5, but I can't for the life of me find them, and searching on the Term 'developer' in the Help turns up nothing.
View > Toolbars > Web Developer Tools

If it's not there, reinstall Custom and make sure the option's selected.

Old 11-29-2005, 05:55 PM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoyle
View > Toolbars > Web Developer Tools

If it's not there, reinstall Custom and make sure the option's selected.
Nope, not there. And I did do the Custom Install both times, and it did show the Developer Tool checked, and it did confirm that it was installing it.

Where do I go next?

Old 11-29-2005, 06:17 PM   #4
dacoyle

Quote:
Nope, not there. And I did do the Custom Install both times, and it did show the Developer Tool checked, and it did confirm that it was installing it.

Where do I go next?
Ann,

If you select View > Toolbars > Customize, is Developer even one of the choices?

This is one of those situations where I'd like to refer you to the Mozilla Forum <sigh>. I've never had a problem with WDT showing up. I'd throw a fit without it... it's the best plugin possible.

How about trying to download the extension manually and installing it. Let me know if that works.

Odd timimg... I've been AWOL for over a week and come back on the day there's a question I might be able to help with.

Old 11-29-2005, 06:27 PM   #5
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Ann,

If you select View > Toolbars > Customize, is Developer even one of the choices?
Nope. I went through this with 1.0.7, sorry, and meant to explain it all then. This time I just came in and posted when it didn't work.

Maybe if I uninstall and reinstall? I just did an install over the top of the previous version.

Last edited by annc; 11-29-2005 at 06:48 PM.
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 06:51 PM   #6
annc
Sysop

I uninstalled 1.5, discovering when I did that there's an installation of 1.01 on my laptop that I can't uninstall, because it can't find an uninstall log that it seems to need. I dragged the c:\program files\mozilla firefox folder to the trash, and reinstalled Firefox 1.5. I checked the Developer Tools checkbox, it told me it would install Developer Tools, and told me that it was installing Developer Tools.

But i still can't find the wretched Developer Tools. Not anywhere.

I'll try to find them on their web site and download and install separately.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:02 PM   #7
annc
Sysop

Quote:
How about trying to download the extension manually and installing it. Let me know if that works.
That, finally, did indeed work.

Thanks, Dennis.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:04 PM   #8
dacoyle

Quote:

Ann,

I posted the link for manually downloading WDT but if that doesn't work, maybe Judy can run down one of the old Mozilla sysops for help.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:10 PM   #9
dacoyle

Quote:
That, finally, did indeed work.

Thanks, Dennis.
Glad to hear it. Sorry our replies overlapped. ;>

Old 11-30-2005, 01:09 AM   #10
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
there's an installation of 1.01 on my laptop that I can't uninstall, because it can't find an uninstall log that it seems to need.
That's not unknown. The unstaller/unistallers are more reliable now! Firefox has an extension compatibility checker that can leave you thinking that an extension has been installed - when in fact it hasn't! Have not yet tested this element of 1.5.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote