DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 11-11-2005, 02:05 PM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Default External hard drives

I've travelled the CD/DVD route, and am now looking at a Firewire external HD for backups. My preferred supplier has both Maxtor and Seagate 200GB drives that stand vertically (important - very little space here) and work a Mac. The Maxtor is $20 cheaper than the Seagate, but the Seagate comes with backup software. However, my Déjà Vu backup software would work anyway, so that's not an issue.

So does anybody have any horror stories to tell about either of these drives?

Old 11-11-2005, 02:47 PM   #2
Andrew B.
Staff

I've been using a Maxtor USB external for backups at home. Also one at work. No problems. I did, however, once have a Maxtor internal start to go bad after about four years. But I had enough symptoms to warn me, and I replaced it without having a disaster. I have not owned a Seagate in a long time. But back in the days of 20meg hard disks, I had one fail very quickly in the first year of operation. Seagate's reputation got very tarnished back then, but that was ages ago. I've been told they are as good as anyone else now.

BTW, I keep my external drives powered off when I'm not backing up. IMO, it is just safer that way.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 03:02 PM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B.
I've been using a Maxtor USB external for backups at home. Also one at work. No problems. I did, however, once have a Maxtor internal start to go bad after about four years. But I had enough symptoms to warn me, and I replaced it without having a disaster. I have not owned a Seagate in a long time. But back in the days of 20meg hard disks, I had one fail very quickly in the first year of operation. Seagate's reputation got very tarnished back then, but that was ages ago. I've been told they are as good as anyone else now.
My internal drive is a Seagate, and it certainly hasn't given me any cause for worry in nearly three years.

My original 20MB hard drive (1986) went bad after less than a week, and had to be replaced. When I bought it, I thought I'd never fill it. But in those days of floppy drives, the application and data files fitted on one 400K floppy.

Old 11-11-2005, 03:13 PM   #4
gary

Maxtor drives have proven reliable for me. In addition to a Maxtor One-Touch USB-only (need to pay more attention when grabbing the box) drive which came with Dantz Retrospect backup software, I have 4 250GB Maxtor ATA133s in my server . I also have a WD 80G USB/FW drive that has been problem-free and just finished attaching a WD 160G NetCenter (Net-Attached Storage) to the network.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 12:19 AM   #5
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
I've travelled the CD/DVD route, and am now looking at a Firewire external HD for backups. My preferred supplier has both Maxtor and Seagate 200GB drives that stand vertically (important - very little space here) and work a Mac. The Maxtor is $20 cheaper than the Seagate, but the Seagate comes with backup software. However, my Déjà Vu backup software would work anyway, so that's not an issue.

So does anybody have any horror stories to tell about either of these drives?
I've had a Maxtor Onetouch for a few years and it works fine. The 'one touch' software stopped working when I moved to OSX but I use alternative backup software in any case (when I remember).

At the moment it's attached by firewire to the Mac mini in the workshop so it stays switched on all the time (except when we have a power failure which has happened very frequently in recent weeks. It seems fine though backups over the netwwork are very slow.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 12:30 PM   #6
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary
Maxtor drives have proven reliable for me. In addition to a Maxtor One-Touch USB-only (need to pay more attention when grabbing the box) drive which came with Dantz Retrospect backup software, I have 4 250GB Maxtor ATA133s in my server . I also have a WD 80G USB/FW drive that has been problem-free and just finished attaching a WD 160G NetCenter (Net-Attached Storage) to the network.
That sounds like a good enough recommendation, Gary. I'll be ordering online, so just need to make sure I click on the right catalogue item to get the Firewire version.

Old 11-12-2005, 12:32 PM   #7
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
I've had a Maxtor Onetouch for a few years and it works fine. The 'one touch' software stopped working when I moved to OSX but I use alternative backup software in any case (when I remember) ... It seems fine though backups over the netwwork are very slow.
I'm hoping to back up the PC as well as the Mac onto this one, but will schedule it to run overnight, I think. Thanks for the vote of confidence in the Maxtor. I'll probably go for that one and save myself $20.

Old 11-21-2005, 09:40 PM   #8
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
I've had a Maxtor Onetouch for a few years and it works fine. The 'one touch' software stopped working when I moved to OSX but I use alternative backup software in any case (when I remember).
Well, I waited a few days to maximise my payment time for the credit card, and the price dropped a further $20 from my preferred supplier, which means it is now $120 cheaper than the price at Apple.

I've ordered one from the cheaper supplier, which is actually a really good place to buy hardware.

Oh, and it will create a bootable drive under Mac OS X. maybe you can get new drivers for yours, and do the same.

Old 11-23-2005, 08:07 PM   #9
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
Oh, and it will create a bootable drive under Mac OS X.
I was in the process of a clean re-install of WinXP and, having forgotten to disconnect the drive after backup, was surprised to have it presented to me as one of the places where I could install XP. (So was my USB thumb drive)
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:27 PM   #10
annc
Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary
I was in the process of a clean re-install of WinXP and, having forgotten to disconnect the drive after backup, was surprised to have it presented to me as one of the places where I could install XP. (So was my USB thumb drive)
The installation on the Mac says to reinitialise it, so I did, and it automatically did so as a bootable drive. It's currently backing up my entire Mac, so as soon as that's finished, I'm going to test it to see if it is indeed bootable. No point in waiting until I need it to be bootable to find out.

For anyone in Australia reading in here, I bought it from Harris Technology (Homebush Bay, Sydney), and the order was placed at around 8.15 yesterday morning (9.15 their time). It was sent off-peak courier, and I had it here in regional Queensland before 11.30 a.m. my time. Pretty good, on top of a good price. I can definitely recommend Harris Technology - I've been dealing with them for years, and have never had a bad experience. They carry good stocks of most standard items, and their web site availability details seem to be very accurate. The staff in the shops are knowledgeable and will search their own tools and the Internet if they are not 100% sure the advice they are giving is correct. They don't try to over-sell, either.

Pity they're mostly PC, but for hardware these days, it mostly doesn't matter.