DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 11-10-2005, 12:19 PM   #1
leftnotracks

Default Recommend DVD backup software for GD Windows

I've been burning backup DVDs using Roxio's Easy CD Creator software.

I've only recently learned that the burn and verify are useless and all I have is a bunch of coasters. Fortunately there are tape backups of hte same files, so I'm not hooped.

Understand that the software's burn and verify nevr indicated the DVDs were unreadable. Yet they are, even on the same computer that burned them.

The IT Dept. here want to ive me the latest peice of crap from Roxio. Despite glowing reviews ins commercial publicatiosn that are paid by Roxio for advertising, the bulk of user reviews are strongly negative.

I've come to refer to the program as Roxio Tremendous-Pain-In-The-Ass CD Destroyer.

So now I want a better program. I don't need to make music CDs, decode movies, RIP my own DVDs, or anything fancy I just want to back up data to DVD that I can read with any DVD drive or Superdrive.

Last edited by leftnotracks; 11-10-2005 at 01:41 PM.
leftnotracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:29 PM   #2
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

You might want to try Ahead Nero, which is very good now that they've sorted out the user interface. It's technically superior to Roxio, though I have to say I've used Easy CD Creator happily for many years.
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:54 PM   #3
Ian Petersen
Staff

In my experience, if you are getting coasters out of your cd/dvd burner then it's most likely a hardware problem. At least whenever I've had such problems both Easy cd-creator and Nero have made equally useless coasters! Although I also agree there's a lot of crap bundled with Easy cd I've never had problems with the cds it creates when the hardware is working.

Old 11-10-2005, 04:24 PM   #4
marlene
Staff

I've been using Nero for a couple of years, now, I think. It's not perfect -- I find it to be unintuitive -- but I seem to have better luck with it than I did with Easy CD Creator.

You can download the Nero demo on their web site (nero.com), which, IIRC, is fully functioning but has an expiration date. One complaint I have is that the recent update of Nero's "CD Speed" utility, which is used to check the quality of the burned disk, is buggy. The transfer rate test does not run at all -- it just shuts down. I had to retrieve an old version of CD Speed, which I use to check disks after I burn them.

I will say that I have had a lot of trouble burning DVDs in general. Apparently the process is much trickier and more delicate than burning CDs. As Ian mentioned, the problem could be the burner, but I have also discovered that DVD burners can be VERY picky about blank media. I tried a couple of different brands (including the highly esteemed Taiyo Yuden, supposedly the best blank media in the universe, which will NOT burn successfully on my Plextor 708UF) before finding that Maxells work well. (And I also learned to check the country of origin -- I searched the shelves until I found Maxells that were made in Japan.)

I also discovered that my Plextor prefers +R rather than -R. (I did buy some rewritables, but haven't gotten those to work at all.)

So you might want to try different brands of media before changing software, just for troubleshooting purposes.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 04:45 PM   #5
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Ahead have fixed the user interface with later versions of Nero: you can now have the same 4-pane window that Easy Toaster Creator have used for years.

Your right that some media suit some drives more than others, but odd that you've had problems with T-Y discs and Plextors. Pioneer drives are meant to be good (one of our duplicator machines has 'em) but I generally find that the Plextors give lower block error rates - mind you, you have to be careful not to write at 8x using 4x media!
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:36 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

One minor point: you don't mention what platform you're on. Your mentioning a Superdrive makes me think Mac, but best you fill in that gap.

If PC, I'll second Robin's recommendation. Nero's done well by me.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:55 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg
One minor point: you don't mention what platform you're on.
Errrr — thread title: “backup software for GD Windows” might provide a clue.

Old 11-10-2005, 10:39 PM   #8
marlene
Staff

Quote:
Ahead have fixed the user interface with later versions of Nero
I'm using version 6.6.0.14, I believe. I only see two panes, but maybe the other two are hiding somewhere.

Quote:
odd that you've had problems with T-Y discs and Plextors
So I'm told. I mail-ordered 200 of those Taiyos, and have created half a dozen coasters. Not one successful burn. I've tried lots of things -- rebooting before a burn, shutting down all other programs and utilities, throwing salt over my left shoulder, etc. I only burn at 4x. No joy.

I'd like to find someone who has the same drive (Plex 708UF) and send them a couple of my Taiyos and see if they can burn 'em ...

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 04:26 PM   #9
gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene
I'd like to find someone who has the same drive (Plex 708UF) and send them a couple of my Taiyos and see if they can burn 'em ...
Go to http://www.dvdrhelp.com/ then click on "DVD Writers" in the left column and search for "708UF". Click on the "Plextor 708UF" above the picture and you will find comments about various media.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 08:24 PM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

One point for Windows in the subject, less marks off for GD, whatever that is (though I can guess, as I often feel that way about it myself)

One point for Mac, viz Superdrive.

Which leaves me still headscratching. ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote