DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 11-07-2005, 12:14 PM   #1
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Default No more Sony for me ...

If you use Windows and if you ever play CDs on your computer, you at least want to take a quick look at this:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Blog/

I think I've bought my last Sony product

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:56 PM   #2
marlene
Staff

Funny you should mention playing CDs on the computer. I've been trying to, but am not smart enough to figure out how. When I put a music CD in the drive (a commercial CD, not home-burnt), the drive tells me it's a blank disk.

I looked at the page in your link, but it's way to technical for me. Can you tell me in 25 words or less what it all means? I gather it's insidious, whatever it is.

FvH
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:17 AM   #3
lurkalot

If the rumour's are true, I agree no more Sony.

I don't think they will be doing themselves any favours.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27568

http://theinquirer.net/?article=27349

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/200...al-rights.html

Last edited by lurkalot; 11-10-2005 at 02:30 AM.
lurkalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:22 AM   #4
Molly/CA

Sony's been trying to shoot itself in the foot with this kind of crap for years. I have a minidisk recorder (Sony, of course) that's advertised as a way to record meeting minutes, rehearsals, etc. (what I bought it for--minutes and my own practicing--) --well, yes, it is a superb recorder, even with its internal mike, but you can't play back a file your or work with the files in any of the Sony software. All you can do to edit the file or save it somewhere other than the original minidisk is run the signal from the headphone jack through the line-in on your computer into an editing program. Cute, hey?

Don't you love the record companies' idea that you're supposed to pay $18 for a CD and have no choice but to play the original --in your car, where it gets roasted and scratched, in your portable 'personal' player, which opens up like a clamshell to receive the CD and any grit going and with any luck you drop the CD and step on it.

And now this. I agree with the blogger --pray that some tort lawyer sees a golden opportunity.

I couldn't understand half of the

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/200...al-rights.html

blog either (uh, how do I make a title link that's nicer to look at?) but it was sure interesting to see all Mark went through to get to the root, or rootkit, or the problem!
Molly/CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 04:05 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly/CA
… how do I make a title link that's nicer to look at?
You can prettify (i.e., mask) any link by selecting it — This Is A Pretty Link, for example — clicking the Link icon (a globe with a chain), and entering the URL in the little pop-up at the top of the screen.

Then your text will appear underlined and in blue (classical link style) and clicking on it will take people to the URL.

By the way, I sort of fudged the link above. It should bring you right back to this message.

Old 11-10-2005, 04:19 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

What operating system are you playing (or trying to) the CDs on?
Just tossed a fresh Telarc CD into the Win2000 box and nothing happens here either.
But if I start Windows Media Player and have it open the cd (it's a bit obtuse...had to tell it ALL FILES|*.* and such) it started playing.

For some bizarre reason, it's giving me the song titles and CD playlist in Japanese though. Took quite a while to work out that the katakana meant "Paavo Jarvi". Stravinsky wasn't so bad. <g>

WMP is such an incredibly obtuse POS ...

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 11-10-2005, 04:25 PM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Oh yeah. The link. Basically: you pop in some Sony CDs, up pops a message telling you that you have to install their player to hear it. You don't. But you don't know that so you click OK. It installs some software that sits between you and the CD driver. It can eat CPU cycles and it hides itself (and any other bit of potentially dreadware that names itself in a certain way). If you figure out that it's there and try to remove it, your CD may cease to function at all.

Greedy and ignorant of them. That's bad enough but then when they got caught with their hand in the cookie jar, they denied it, then made it very difficult to get a fix and so far as I know, STILL haven't made a removal tool available.

Who needs it? Who needs them? Not I.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 11-10-2005, 04:32 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

well, yes, it is a superb recorder, even with its internal mike, but you can't play back a file your or work with the files in any of the Sony software. All you can do to edit the file or save it somewhere other than the original minidisk is run the signal from the headphone jack through the line-in on your computer into an editing program.>>

ISTR that some of these things have a kind of "digital line out" feature you can use to move the files directly to the PC; but the PC has to have the appropriate input jack. Most don't.

Sure would make more sense to put a USB port on the things, at least for the US market. I suspect they're made mainly for the Japanese market though. They're not all that popular here but are very common in Japan.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 11-10-2005, 07:46 PM   #9
Shane Stanley
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg
Who needs it?
Well it looks like someone is _using_ it: http://sophos.com.au/pressoffice/new...11/stinxe.html

Shane
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:59 PM   #10
marlene
Staff

XP. I just launched WMP and am now listening to the Waterboys. On really crappy speakers. <g>

I had trouble figuring out how to "open" the CD -- I finally clicked on the little downward pointing blue triangle to the right of the "Now Playing" tab.

And the song title it's displaying is the one following the track that's actually playing. Shouldn't complain, though -- at least they're in English. <g>

I started Nero SoundTrax -- I have no idea what it does, but thought it might have a more logical CD player -- and it's too complicated.

Maybe I should get an iPod.

FvH
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote