DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 11-06-2005, 02:17 PM   #1
mksf

Location: Supposedly, in the San Francisco Bay area, but I can be found almost anywhere.
Default Using a non-Mac monitor with a G4

Howdy! (Yeah, I'm still alive, and not online very much lately.)

Brent and I bought a pair of Samsung Syncmaster 930b LCD monitors. The guy at the store (Fry's) assured us the 930b will work with Brent's G4 running OS9. (He hasn't found a reason to go to OS X.)

Sure enough, the cable connects to the back of the Mac, just as it did with my PC. The Samsung gets power, but the G4 will not power on. Pressing the button on the front panel does nothing.

I'm assuming it's because of the USB cable that ran from the keyboard to the monitor. I've never seen such a thing, and I'm guessing that is what enabled one to use the power button on the monitor to power-on the system.

Brent has had power problems in the past, and using the button on the front of the monitor sometimes was the only way to start the G4.

Any words of advice? Or should we just return the LCD to Fry's and have Brent keep working with his CRT that's way too big for the space we have? ...thanks!
mksf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 04:36 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mksf
Howdy! (Yeah, I'm still alive, and not online very much lately.)
Hi, Mike — very glad to see you here!

Quote:
Brent and I bought a pair of Samsung Syncmaster 930b LCD monitors. The guy at the store (Fry's) assured us the 930b will work with Brent's G4 running OS9. (He hasn't found a reason to go to OS X.)

Sure enough, the cable connects to the back of the Mac, just as it did with my PC. The Samsung gets power, but the G4 will not power on. Pressing the button on the front panel does nothing.

I'm assuming it's because of the USB cable that ran from the keyboard to the monitor. I've never seen such a thing, and I'm guessing that is what enabled one to use the power button on the monitor to power-on the system.

Brent has had power problems in the past, and using the button on the front of the monitor sometimes was the only way to start the G4.
Well, I am no techno-maven. But USB is always problematical in my experience.

I do not think I can solve this, but have some questions. Why doesn’t Brent want to (think he needs to) move to OS X? According to a squib in this month’s MacWorld, it seems that some 81% of Mac users have migrated to OS X — and I fear that many developers assume it is now the standard. (Have no idea if this is the issue — just a point of information.)

Can he move his USB devices to a powered hub?

I hope someone smarter can help — I am out of ideas.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:06 PM   #3
mksf

Location: Supposedly, in the San Francisco Bay area, but I can be found almost anywhere.

Yo, Kathleen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Why doesn’t Brent want to (think he needs to) move to OS X?
At this point, he feels no need to upgrade any applications, and until he needs to install something that requires a newer OS, he's not going to spend the time and energy to upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Can he move his USB devices to a powered hub?
The USB devices aren't a problem. The issue was not recognizing why there's a USB cable from the keyboard to the monitor. (We figured that out later. The monitor is a hub, too--there are four USB ports hidden on the right side.)

The computer works just fine with the Apple Monitor (a Display Studio 21), but it won't do anything with the LCD. <sigh>
Old 11-06-2005, 09:02 PM   #4
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Quote:
The Samsung gets power, but the G4 will not power on. Pressing the button on the front panel does nothing.
Pressing the button on the front panel of the monitor, or the front panel of the computer? There are a couple of different models of G4s--are there four divots along the bottom of the front of the computer? is there a power key on the keyboard?

Old 11-07-2005, 04:54 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
The USB devices aren't a problem. The issue was not recognizing why there's a USB cable from the keyboard to the monitor. (We figured that out later. The monitor is a hub, too--there are four USB ports hidden on the right side.)

The computer works just fine with the Apple Monitor (a Display Studio 21), but it won't do anything with the LCD. <sigh>
Well, I am no use here, but Don A or someone else may be able to help.

I thought that today all modern monitors could be used with Macs, though you might need to search out an appropriate connector.

Good luck with it.

Old 11-07-2005, 08:08 AM   #6
Sayling

fwiw I have a Formac 17" LCD display connected to my G4MDD which works fine on both 10.4.2 as well as 9.2.2

If you were previously using the G4 with a 21" monitor, is the display resolution set too high for the LCD screen?

Try connecting up the 21" Apple display, and set the display resolution to something which the Samsung LCD can handle -- 1280 x 1024 should work on both the Apple Studio 21" as well as the Samsung 930B, I think, then do the monitor swap.

Sayling
Sayling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:28 PM   #7
mksf

Thanks for the suggestions! The cable from the monitor fits the video port on the Mac, but the Mac simply won't boot unless the CRT is attached. <sigh>
Old 11-07-2005, 08:28 PM   #8
Stephen Owades

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions! The cable from the monitor fits the video port on the Mac, but the Mac simply won't boot unless the CRT is attached. <sigh>
I have a Macintosh G4 and two non-Apple monitors, neither of which has anything to do with the startup process of the computer. (One monitor is a big CRT, connected to the standard Apple video card; the other is an SGI flat panel with its own special video card and interface.) There's a start button on the keyboard which awakens the computer, and as long as the computer is connected to the keyboard via USB there's no problem. If your Apple monitor has a start button, it probably sends the same signal via USB that the keyboard would.
Stephen Owades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:30 PM   #9
mksf

Quote:
Originally Posted by don Arnoldy
Pressing the button on the front panel of the monitor, or the front panel of the computer? There are a couple of different models of G4s--are there four divots along the bottom of the front of the computer? is there a power key on the keyboard?
Hi, Don. Long time!

Directly answering your questions, I was referring to pressing the power button on the front of the CPU. There are two buttons along the bottom--are those the divots to which you're referring? I've attached a picture of both the CPU and the monitor, in case they help.

According to the manuals that came with the computer, its a Power Mac G4, with the monitor connected to the VGA monitor port. Brent is having problems with the battery, so the machine does lose the date and time, but with the Studio Display, it boots ok.

Any other information I should find and provide? ...thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BrentCPU.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	250   Click image for larger version

Name:	BrentMon.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	251  
Old 11-07-2005, 08:34 PM   #10
mksf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Owades
There's a start button on the keyboard which awakens the computer, and as long as the computer is connected to the keyboard via USB there's no problem. If your Apple monitor has a start button, it probably sends the same signal via USB that the keyboard would.
Brent's computer doesn't have a power button on the keyboard, but indeed, there is one on the monitor, so perhaps that's also why the monitor needs the USB connection.

He has a keyboard with a power button from an old G3 that he's no longer using, so we'll try swapping that, too, when we swap the monitor to try again. ...thanks!