DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 11-03-2005, 03:08 PM   #1
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.
Default Dump Acrobat 6!

I got a job back from the printers today: damn keyline round two sides of an image box <grrr!>. My PDF, I'll have you know, (most embarrassing), so I opened it in Acrobat 5: looked good, no keyline. Zoomed right in: still no keyline. Scratched head, odd... Looked at it in 7 on a Mac, still no keyline. Tried 6: keyline there, large as life, bloody well winking at me, too! Checked with repro: sure enough, they plated this job from 6. Did they notice the lines? Did they heck!

I hate Aggroprat 6! That's the third problem I've had with it this year. I've twice before seen mis-shaped letters from a PDF made from (get this, folks) a Frustrator document with all text converted to outlines! Letters i and l come out dashed. But only when opened in Ache RoSplat 6 - not 4, not 5, and not 7: JUST BLOODY 6, AND I HATE IT!

Ah, that's better. Thanks for your kind patience while I was ranting - I've calmed down now, and the printers will replate. FROM 7!

Last edited by Robin Springall; 11-03-2005 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Problem resolved.
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 03:43 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall
My PDF, I'll have you know … I hate Aggroprat 6! … Letters i and l come out dashed. But only when opened in Ache RoSplat 6 - not 4, not 5, and not 7: JUST BLOODY 6, AND I HATE IT!

Ah, that's better. Thanks for your kind patience while I was ranting - I've calmed down now, and the printers will replate. FROM 7!
You are quite welcome. Glad you got that off your chest.

Guess we should all take your advice and and use Acrobat 7, right?

Have a nice glass of burgundy or champagne, now. No need to stay aggravated!

Old 11-03-2005, 05:00 PM   #3
Stephen Owades

I too have encountered mysterious borders around images in some PDFs when viewed or printed in Acrobat 6. They sometimes appear and disappear on-screen at different zoom ratios, but appear consistently when printing, making the problem hard to predict. In my experience, PDFs made from Acrobat 7 don't exhibit this problem, even when 6 is used for viewing and printing; PDFs made from 6 can exhibit the problem in 6 but not in 7. I recommend that both document creators and printers upgrade to 7, for safetly all around.
Stephen Owades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 05:28 AM   #4
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

I agree - we never had anything like this when we had flat artwork supplied - mmmmm well unless perhaps the odd words that fell off and was found later in the bottem of the folder
Have agood weekend
Peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 05:36 AM   #5
dthomsen8

Default Acrobat 5

I am not using Acrobat for printing, but I have had problems with the Acrobat 6 Reader, and now I use Acrobat 5, which I obtained from an old versions web site. I don't know if the problems are fixed in later versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall
I got a job back from the printers today: damn keyline round two sides of an image box <grrr!>. My PDF, I'll have you know, (most embarrassing), so I opened it in Acrobat 5: looked good, no keyline. Zoomed right in: still no keyline. Scratched head, odd... Looked at it in 7 on a Mac, still no keyline. Tried 6: keyline there, large as life, bloody well winking at me, too! Checked with repro: sure enough, they plated this job from 6. Did they notice the lines? Did they heck!

I hate Aggroprat 6! That's the third problem I've had with it this year. I've twice before seen mis-shaped letters from a PDF made from (get this, folks) a Frustrator document with all text converted to outlines! Letters i and l come out dashed. But only when opened in Ache RoSplat 6 - not 4, not 5, and not 7: JUST BLOODY 6, AND I HATE IT!

dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 06:09 AM   #6
jgr

Oh now that is most interesting. We recently had a job get fouled up by replacing non-ascii characters (curly quotes) in a PDF. I thought at the time it might be the version of PDF creator I was using... now I'm wondering if it might have been the version of Acrobat they were using!

Old 11-04-2005, 08:13 AM   #7
Michael Rowley

Robin:

I hate Acrobat 6!
You might have trouble with Acrobat 7: the computing department of UCL is not happy about it, so one of my daughters tells me (she works there). I don't know what the trouble is though: it might be some obscure computing objection.

Old 11-04-2005, 10:58 AM   #8
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Thanks, all, for your support and advice. Things don't seem quite so bad after a glass of champers. Cheers <hic!>
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 03:48 PM   #9
Michael Rowley

Robin:

Things don't seem quite so bad after a glass of champers

Try two or three: either you won't see the lines or not care.

Old 11-04-2005, 07:40 PM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

If nothing else, 7's got product activation. Maybe that's what they're annoyed about.

I haven't figured out which computer I really really want it on. Whether or not the de-activation feature works, I'm convinced I'll forget to use it before uninstalling, so instead of installing I'm just stalling.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote