DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Old 11-01-2005, 05:42 AM   #1
RJ Emery

Default Inventing a Unique Domain Name

I have a SOHO business, but the name is I selected decades ago was not all that unique. I wish to establish a website, but I need to make the domain name somewhat unique.

Does anyone have ideas on prefixes or suffixes I might use to modify my business name so my business name would not be confused with other similar names in the .com universe?

Brother MFC-8840DN Printer/Scanner/Fax
RJ Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 06:32 AM   #2
iamback

Try for a short phrase instead of a noun (you don't say what your business name is).

I grabbed "iamback.com" (I am back) many years ago when the idea for a travel-related website came to me, when domain names were exceptionally scarse - but years before I actually set up the site.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:33 AM   #3
Ian Petersen
Staff

From long experience of making, amongst other things, business cards for small businesses with 'imaginitive' names: make it as short as possible. In my humble opinion no domain name shoud be over 8-10 letters if it's to appear on any printed material.

Old 11-01-2005, 06:18 PM   #4
RJ Emery

Ian,

I agree with you, the shorter the better. My thinking was to concatenate two or three simple words, but having a list of prefixes and suffixes that I could use to augment my business name would be highly desirable at this point.

Brother MFC-8840DN Printer/Scanner/Fax
RJ Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 06:59 PM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

For layout purposes, I have to agree, short = good.

OTOH, sometimes a longer name is easier to remember, or it seems to to me. I have trouble remembering the domain where a particular site's hosted, even though it's my own domain, but no trouble whatever finding www.morninggloryride.com when I want to have a look at the Morning Glory Ride site hosted there. <g>

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 03:23 AM   #6
PrintFire

RJ,

Short is good but probably no longer available. I agree with Steve, go for something that's easy to remember. Like printfire.com or morningflight.com, two of my domains.

Then make sure there's no question about the spelling. For instance, I own electricgraphiti.com - useless because someone else owns electricgraffiti.com. If the graffiti spelling were to become available some day, that would change things. I could set up a site under electricgraphiti, then use electricgraffiti to point to it.

Another one of my domains is e-printworld.com. If you plan to use a similar prefix, make sure to also domain a version without the dash (I domained eprintworld.com to prevent hijacking). Can't get both versions? Forget the name altogether.

Finally, stay away from .net, .org, .info, .biz etc. Use those only if you can also get the matching .com. Because .com is where everyone looks first.

Good hunting!

http://www.printfire.com

Last edited by PrintFire; 11-02-2005 at 09:32 AM.
PrintFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:45 PM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Finally, stay away from .net, .org, .info, .biz etc. Use those only if you can also get the matching .com. Because .com is where everyone looks first.>>

Or what you'll tack onto the domain by mistake sooner or later in a large, expensive and embarrassing way. www.morninggloryride.org was the original domain but somebody went and made skillions of yardsigns with morninggloryride.com on it.

We grabbed that FAST and pointed them both at the same place. If I let one of them go, it'll be .org

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 11-03-2005, 02:44 AM   #8
PrintFire

Steve,

That's a major "Oh Phoey" (or something to that effect). In the printing industry, not an uncommon variation of Murphy's Law. Nice catch, though!

With domains now going for $6.99 a year at GoDaddy.com, I would keep the .org as a pointer, for people who have www.morninggloryride.org bookmarked.

I looked at the site - nice!

http://www.printfire.com

Last edited by PrintFire; 11-03-2005 at 04:44 AM.
PrintFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 01:30 PM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Thanks for the kind words. The site was a real education. A very talented professional designer did it in Dreamweaver then had to leave the team; it got sucked into FrontPage 2000 and I got sucked into helping the volunteer maintain it there. I'd never particularly liked FrontPage but didn't realize it was quite so evil. ;-)

Ah well. Maybe the later versions don't work quite so hard to shoot the user's feet off.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 11-24-2005, 07:23 AM   #10
dthomsen8

Default FrontPage 2003 over 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg
Thanks for the kind words. The site was a real education. A very talented professional designer did it in Dreamweaver then had to leave the team; it got sucked into FrontPage 2000 and I got sucked into helping the volunteer maintain it there. I'd never particularly liked FrontPage but didn't realize it was quite so evil. ;-)

Ah well. Maybe the later versions don't work quite so hard to shoot the user's feet off.
FrontPage 2003 is better than 2000, but it still does strange things at times, and sometimes I have trouble with updating obsolete pages. If you don't use the FrontPage extensions, it would be a good idea to switch to something else.

I have two legacy sites from when I first started doing web sites, but they use FP extensions, themes, navigation and headings, so it would be tricky to start over. One is purely a volunteer effort, so I am reluctant to start over.

I use Dreamweaver MX 2004, but there are cheaper alternatives to FP, if you are not tied to the extensions
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote