DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 10-22-2005, 09:15 AM   #1
projectproofing

Default Need ideas

I am continually working on my web site ProjectProofing.com and need some ideas from you all, which are my core customers.

ProjectProofing.com
is a online softproofing web site that also incorporates many project management / project tracking tools such as design history, file management, notification system, open ticket system, etc.

I am looking for additional ideas on how to make this web site a useful tool in the design process.

Please help. I would like to incorporate as many good ideas as I can.

You can see the management tools by logging in with the following:

Username: member
Password: demo

Thanks!

projectproofing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 10:29 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Aha. See my comment in the other thread you started ... then take this copy you just posted:

ProjectProofing.com is a online softproofing web site that also incorporates many project management / project tracking tools such as design history, file management, notification system, open ticket system, etc.

refine it a bit and make it your lead paragraph on the site. This nicely sums up the point that all the other copy I read fails to make clear.

Nicely done. <g>

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 10:49 AM   #3
terrie
Staff

I went in and browsed around (logging into the demo), then closed your site, read all the other posts on the forum and then came back to your site, logging in again to the demo, as I had some comments...

Unfortunately, I'm now getting the following error when I attempt to look at any of the demo Current Projects:

>>Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a0411'

Name redefined

/membersarea/projects/project_details.asp, line 125

Dim Repeat1__numRows
----^ <<

The one thing that struck me when I visited before and clicked on any of the Current Projects was there was no way to get back to the main page without using the browser's back button...

The only experience I have with project management software is Basecamp which was used by a magazine I did some layout work for and while it's been a number of months since I've worked with it, I do seem to remember that I could easily get back to my starting point...

Not sure if any of this helps...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 12:02 PM   #4
projectproofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
I went in and browsed around (logging into the demo), then closed your site, read all the other posts on the forum and then came back to your site, logging in again to the demo, as I had some comments...

Unfortunately, I'm now getting the following error when I attempt to look at any of the demo Current Projects:

>>Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a0411'

Name redefined

/membersarea/projects/project_details.asp, line 125

Dim Repeat1__numRows
----^ <<

Yeah, sorry about that. I am in the process of adding a couple new offerings and the site is off and on at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
The one thing that struck me when I visited before and clicked on any of the Current Projects was there was no way to get back to the main page without using the browser's back button...

The only experience I have with project management software is Basecamp which was used by a magazine I did some layout work for and while it's been a number of months since I've worked with it, I do seem to remember that I could easily get back to my starting point...

Not sure if any of this helps...

Terrie
Thank you for the feedback. You can click on the home button at the top from anywhere and return to the dashboard. I will add another link from that area to return also.

projectproofing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 01:43 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

>>wally: You can click on the home button at the top from anywhere and return to the dashboard.

ah-ha...found it...way too small to be noticed particularly when one has been focusing on the menu on the left hand portion of the page...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:27 AM   #6
LoisWakeman
Staff

Wally - your site is not very well-designed in accessibility terms - you have no alternate text for the images, which is one of the easiest and most basic requirements for example. There are validation errors in your code - it starts with a <link> attribute even before the <html> tag for example, has no DTD (which will throw IE into "quirks mode" - the source of all sorts of layout problems) and you are using rather outdated complex table layouts, when the trend is for clean simplicity and CSS-based layouts - moving to those will future-proof your design.

Have you tested how it works without JavaScript support?

On the positive side, the text explains well what you want the site to do (I only looked at the home page BTW). However, you need to do a little work on the grammar and spelling for a really professional image.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 02:18 PM   #7
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds

Have you looked at the Kodak/Creo site at Insite -which is similar
peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote