DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 10-16-2005, 01:32 PM   #1
The Drawing Room

Default Help! My Worst Nightmare

It finally happened. I just finished a 12-page newsletter, made a PDF, caught one little error while reading the PDF with PageMaker and the file running in the background.

When I tried to Save the file after making the correction, the little "clock" kept running and running, something I've seen before. After a few minutes I tried to Force Quit, couldn't, and pressed the light on the flat-screen monitor to turn off the computer.

After starting up again, I clicked on the newsletter file icon and got message it couldn't be opened. Error 8901:20515. Another try gave me "Generic level 1 problem." It has something to do with "bad links".

I know of no way to fix the file. What I would like to know is if the printer (person, not my printer) can possibly print it out using the PDF file. I'll call in the a.m. of course, but am looking for any possible ideas from anyone here. I did manage to print out a copy from the PDF.

The problem is, of course, that the front and back covers are in color, as well as pages 6 and 7 of this issue. The rest is black. The printer has been printing out the covers on a color copier.

Barbara
The Drawing Room is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drawing Room
I know of no way to fix the file. What I would like to know is if the printer (person, not my printer) can possibly print it out using the PDF file. I'll call in the a.m. of course, but am looking for any possible ideas from anyone here. I did manage to print out a copy from the PDF.

The problem is, of course, that the front and back covers are in color, as well as pages 6 and 7 of this issue. The rest is black. The printer has been printing out the covers on a color copier.
Oy. Sorry to hear that story.

How did you make the PDF? Are the images high enough in resolution? Are fonts embedded? (Though you could just send copies of the fonts along if not, assuming the printer uses a Mac for output.)

You (or your printer) can take the PDF apart to separate the B&W from color pages. May not need to — depends on how he works.

Maybe one of the PDF mavens will pop up and advise further.

PageMaker didn’t offer you the last-saved version, huh? What a bummer.

(And howdy, stranger!)

Old 10-17-2005, 07:24 AM   #3
The Drawing Room

>>(And howdy, stranger!)<<

<S> Hi Kathleen!

I called the printer and he said they could work with the PDF. I made it right in PageMaker as always. The zip disk I bring to the printer always has the graphics and fonts as well as the actual file and a PDF.

It was fortunate the PDF was made OK. I'm not sure about the images and have to discuss this with the graphic person at the printer's because they come out fine on the covers (in color from a color copier) but the black/whites are grainy although they look perfect in PhotoShop and PageMaker on screen.

More to study I guess. IOW, time to dust off all the great Mac books. <s>

>>You (or your printer) can take the PDF apart to separate the B&W from color pages. May not need to — depends on how he works.<<

He seemed to think that wouldn't be a problem. I'll probably be holding my breath until the job is ready to mail.

Barbara
Old 10-18-2005, 11:14 AM   #4
Craig

I have had some success re-opening a file in the past by doing the following:

Make a new single page file, Select File and Place, select the corrupt file and pick any string of text and place it in the new page. Close the page without saving and try to re-open the corrupt file.

It worked about 70% of the time, hope it helps.

Old 10-18-2005, 11:32 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Make a new single page file, Select File and Place, select the corrupt file and pick any string of text and place it in the new page. Close the page without saving and try to re-open the corrupt file.

It worked about 70% of the time, hope it helps.
Fascinating! Hope she tries it.

It does sound a bit like magic, but broken PageMaker files always did need a little of that!

Old 10-18-2005, 12:31 PM   #6
Craig

Magic... more like Voodoo!

As weird as it sounds it has worked for me.

Old 10-18-2005, 12:52 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Magic... more like Voodoo!

As weird as it sounds it has worked for me.
Almost makes me wish I had one of those lost PageMaker files so I could see if it works for me. Gotta be better than my usual approach: stand on one foot, facing east, close my eyes, mutter incantations, and click!

Old 10-18-2005, 01:31 PM   #8
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Almost makes me wish I had one of those lost PageMaker files so I could see if it works for me. Gotta be better than my usual approach: stand on one foot, facing east, close my eyes, mutter incantations, and click!
That's funny , maybe if you try facing west? Usually I screw it up by yelling incantations... muttering might be better.

Old 10-18-2005, 01:36 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
That's funny , maybe if you try facing west? Usually I screw it up by yelling incantations... muttering might be better.
Maybe. Could be. <g>

Old 10-20-2005, 07:40 AM   #10
The Drawing Room

<<Make a new single page file, Select File and Place, select the corrupt file and pick any string of text and place it in the new page. Close the page without saving and try to re-open the corrupt file.<<

I'll try it right now. Meanwhile, the editor's sister works for a printer and was able to open the PDF and make changes, except she doesn't know how and is asking someone there if they'll do it for her.

The change is minor and yet vital: New person for treasurer, and the name/address appears on a registration form and one other place. If the PDF can't be changed, she said stickers can be made and placed on the registration form.

This should teach me to listen to my instincts and not Trash the backup copy until the original is secure and a copy placed on the Zip disk. Why didn't I listen! <g> I always save the backup, sometimes two of them!